turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Bamboo
Returning Member

Pensions not included in 1040 Line 4a? But is included in Line 4b. Line 4b should not be > 4a. Line 4a should be all 1099-R B1, Line 4b sum of Box 2a.

@avian99 I think there are at least 3 people commenting here about the IRS adjusting their returns because line 4b was more than 4a. Now they have to deal with sending erroneous refunds back etc. Yes TT should fix this.

Pensions not included in 1040 Line 4a? But is included in Line 4b. Line 4b should not be > 4a. Line 4a should be all 1099-R B1, Line 4b sum of Box 2a.

@d2richland  So I probably should keep the IRA/SEP box unchecked.  It doesn't change anything for me except the amount in line 4a.  It's too bad that this hasn't been resolved but seems that TT doesn't think it's an issue.  
In addition to the 4a-4b mess, TT also added forms that I didn't need and this was before I unchecked that box.  Added the business expense form (don't have any of those), HSA form (don't have that) and Alternative Minimum Tax Credit form. I don't know why that happened but I deleted the forms.  Didn't change my refund amount.
 Has anyone talked to a rep from the IRS to get more info?  Have people received refunds with 4b being greater than 4a?  It's confusing.
Bamboo
Returning Member

@avian99 First make sure you have the most recent update. See Steve's comment here.
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4576126-one-of-my-1099-r-amounts-is-not-being-added-to-line-4a-of-...>

If it were me I would overstate the gross distribution by $1 instead of unchecking the box but if that works for you ok. I do hope it's fixed though.

Pensions not included in 1040 Line 4a? But is included in Line 4b. Line 4b should not be &gt; 4a. Line 4a should be all 1099-R B1, Line 4b sum of Box 2a.

@d2richland  I saw Steve's comment but I have the latest updates and there is no difference for me.

Pensions not included in 1040 Line 4a? But is included in Line 4b. Line 4b should not be &gt; 4a. Line 4a should be all 1099-R B1, Line 4b sum of Box 2a.

I'm having the same issue with 4b more than 4a.  Should I file the return like that, wait for a fix, or remove the tick mark from that IRA/SEP box like other people have done? Thanks.

FWIW, I filed about a month ago - with 4a less than 4b. The return was accepted, processed by the IRS, and a refund issued (no changes from what I filed).
pauln
Returning Member

I have also filed, with 4a less than 4b.  It should not cause a problem.  
pauln
Returning Member

TT needs to fix the discrepancy

Thanks for the replies.  @Barry @pauln I assume you filed electronically or did you paper file?

I used eFile thru TT.

Electronic for me.

Thanks @Barry @frankbaumert  Worked for one but not for the other.  Still not sure how I am going to file.  Found issue discussed in other forums by professional preparers using TT and also TaxWise.
pauln
Returning Member

I filed electronically thru TT; refund received.

Thanks @pauln
Mike-262

thanks
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies