Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

skubsnx

Found the section RothIRAs, and remembered I've had one for 10+yrs but never put on my tax return, is it going to come back and bite me? Deposit only, no withdrawals.

Totally forgot I had one, don't even remember how long I've had.  Have never withdrawn anything out of it, just deposits.  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ThomasM

Found the section RothIRAs, and remembered I've had one for 10+yrs but never put on my tax return, is it going to come back and bite me? Deposit only, no withdrawals.

Assuming you never contributed more than allowed for a given year, then you're fine.  Roth IRAs are funded with after-tax dollars (money that's yours that you already paid tax on), and the tax benefit comes later -- when you take a distribution, none of the distribution is taxable (subject to certain requirements).

So if you haven't withdrawn any money from the account and it's just been sitting there, then you haven't had to report anything on your tax returns.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
ThomasM

Assuming you never contributed more than allowed for a given year, then you're fine.  Roth IRAs are funded with after-tax dollars (money that's yours that you already paid tax on), and the tax benefit comes later -- when you take a distribution, none of the distribution is taxable (subject to certain requirements).

So if you haven't withdrawn any money from the account and it's just been sitting there, then you haven't had to report anything on your tax returns.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies