Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

As a retired nurse, and my benefits include a Medicare Supplement given to me in the form of a 1099Misc. Would this be a Sch C or Sch E? Or another form of income?

As a retired nurse, my benefits include Medicare Supplement income in the form of a 1099Misc through my retirement company as a paying agent paying for my previous employer/hospital. Where would I declare this income? In a SchC (with what business code?), SchE, or another location?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

As a retired nurse, and my benefits include a Medicare Supplement given to me in the form of a 1099Misc. Would this be a Sch C or Sch E? Or another form of income?

In neither location. You may report it instead simply as Other Income. It is important to report it directly on Schedule 1, Line 8 so that it is only taxed as income. 

To do this, follow these steps:

1. From the left menu, go to Federal and select the first tab, Wages & Income
  2. Add more income by scrolling down to the last option, Less Common Income, and Show more
  3. Scroll down to the last option, Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C and Start
  4. Choose the last option, Other reportable income and Start and Yes
  5. Enter the applicable description and amount and Continue.

I am a retired ironworker and my local union started a pension supplement fund in which currently working members contribute to a supplemental pension fund to aid retired members. Each year retired members receive a 13th check from this pension supplement fund, not from the regular pension fund. I then get a 1099 Misc income form with this payment listed. Each year when I do my taxes with turbotax I am forced to list this as a business income and fill out all the appropriate forms. This is not right. Can someone help with this?

It is qualified as unearned income.

To report the income for the 1099-MISC on line 8z of Schedule 1 follow these steps.

1. Open TurboTax.
  2. "Pick up where I left off."
  3. Federal > Wages & Income > " Less Common Income" > "Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A 1099-C" > Start or Revisit.
  4. "Other reportable income" > Revisit.
  5. On the screen below, select "Yes."

6. On the screen below, enter the description and amount.

7. Continue > Done.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies