turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I'm currently on F-1 visa. I'm not required to pay SSN & medicare taxes as per my status, however my employer has withheld the amount How do I get a refund?Please advise

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

I'm currently on F-1 visa. I'm not required to pay SSN & medicare taxes as per my status, however my employer has withheld the amount How do I get a refund?Please advise

As a F-1 visa holder, you are considered as "exempt" meaning not counting days for five years starting from the date of your first arrival in the United States.  After the five years period, you will start counting days by using the Substantial Presence Test  to see if you qualify to be treated as a US resident for tax purposes.  If you are within the five years period of time frame, you are not entitled to pay any FICA taxes.  You will need to file a Form 843 to claim the withholding back. However, if you are on F-1 visa including OPT for more than 5 calendar years, you are not exempt from FICA taxes. 

https://www.irs.gov/uac/form-843-claim-for-refund-and-request-for-abatement

View solution in original post

1 Reply
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

As a F-1 visa holder, you are considered as "exempt" meaning not counting days for five years starting from the date of your first arrival in the United States.  After the five years period, you will start counting days by using the Substantial Presence Test  to see if you qualify to be treated as a US resident for tax purposes.  If you are within the five years period of time frame, you are not entitled to pay any FICA taxes.  You will need to file a Form 843 to claim the withholding back. However, if you are on F-1 visa including OPT for more than 5 calendar years, you are not exempt from FICA taxes. 

https://www.irs.gov/uac/form-843-claim-for-refund-and-request-for-abatement

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies