Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

josh-p1

How do I pay taxes for rolling a 401k to a Roth IRA account?

I rolled over a traditional 401k from my previous employer into a Roth IRA account and was not charged for the taxes on the rollover. On my 1099-R from the 2B(Taxable amount not determined) is not checked and box 2a is at $0. Box 7 has the distribution code G (Direct rollover and direct payment). I know I need to pay income tax on that amount to convert it to a Roth account but I don't know how to see that Turbotax calculates that properly and how to fix the situation. Do I need to fix this situation with the sender or receiver?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Are you sure that it is in a Roth and not a Traditional IRA?

You should discuss this with the 401(K) administrator if they directed it to go to the wrong type of IRA.

However, It is doubtful that they will change it, but you need to talk with them anyway just to tell the IRS that you attempted to get them to correct it.

You can ignore the 1099-R and enter a 4852 substitute 1099-R exactly like the one you have but make box 2a the same as box 1.   Enter an explanation statement that you are using a substitute because the rollover went to a Roth IRA and not a Traditional IRA so the box 2a should not have been zero.   Then explain the steps you took to get the 401(k) administrator to issue a corrected 1099-R.

That should make it a taxable Roth conversion.
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Did you instruct the 401(k) plan administrator that this was a Roth conversion of did you decide to put it in a Roth after the check was issued?

Assuming that it was a check and not an electronic transfer, the check should have been payable to your Traditional IRA account if the box 2a is zero.   If payable to your Roth IRA then box 2a should be the same as box 1.
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
josh-p1

It was a direct rollover so it was transferred electronically. It seams they weren’t talking and didn’t ask questions on either end. I see now that I should have made it a two part move. From 401k to traditional Ira then from traditional ira to Roth IRA. Now after the fact I’m not sure what to do.

Are you sure that it is in a Roth and not a Traditional IRA?

You should discuss this with the 401(K) administrator if they directed it to go to the wrong type of IRA.

However, It is doubtful that they will change it, but you need to talk with them anyway just to tell the IRS that you attempted to get them to correct it.

You can ignore the 1099-R and enter a 4852 substitute 1099-R exactly like the one you have but make box 2a the same as box 1.   Enter an explanation statement that you are using a substitute because the rollover went to a Roth IRA and not a Traditional IRA so the box 2a should not have been zero.   Then explain the steps you took to get the 401(k) administrator to issue a corrected 1099-R.

That should make it a taxable Roth conversion.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies