Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jjb073

Are dividends claimed as income on an IRA even though nothing is withdrawn?

I have both traditional and ROTH IRAs.  Do I have to claim dividends on either or both as income?  If they take a loss in a year, do they become deductible?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
KenH1

No.  For retirement accounts (401k, IRA, Roth IRA, etc), the IRS only cares about funds contributed and withdrawn.  Earnings within the account don't matter.  If you did not withdraw money from your retirement account, there is no tax reporting. 

For taxable brokerage accounts (i.e., not a 401k or an IRA), the opposite is true:  funds in and out don't matter, but interest, dividends, and capital gains would be reported.

KenH1

Edited for clarity

I have a Roth IRA in a Charles Schwab account which reports yearly Qualified Dividends, non qualified dividends, interest and Capital Gains on a 1099.  Is this taxable to me even if I did not take a distribution from the account?

Then why would Schwab report this to me on a 1099 Year end summary, stating it is being reported to the IRS?

@Susan Swann wrote:

Then why would Schwab report this to me on a 1099 Year end summary, stating it is being reported to the IRS?

You must be confusing something.  Schwab does not report IRA's on 1099-INT or 1099-DIV forms.    Perhaps you have a brokerage account in addition the the Roth IRA account.   If not sure then  contact Schwab for an explanation.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies