turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bdstenn

Do I enter IRA contributions in W2 box 12a code D (with Retirement plan checked in box 13) when asked for total contributions made in 2016?

I made a $1,560 IRA contribution via payroll deduction.  It is shown on my W2 in box 12a with code 'D', and retirement plan is checked in box 13.  I contributed $5,500 directly to a different IRA.  When Turbotax asks for contribution made to IRA in 2016, do I add these 2 amounts together or is the one shown on W2 with Retirement plan checked in box 13 handled differently?  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

Do I enter IRA contributions in W2 box 12a code D (with Retirement plan checked in box 13) when asked for total contributions made in 2016?

An IRA and a 401(k) are totally different. If you have a retirement plan through a regular W2 job with Code "D" in Box 12 - that's a 401(k), not an IRA.

Do not enter a 401(k) contribution in the program as an IRA contribution. You account for 401(k) contributions by entering your W2 and that's it. Your 401(k) contributions have already been removed from the taxable wages in Box 1 of your W2.

IRA contributions aren't handled through an employer. If you also made an IRA contribution of $5500 outside of employer, enter only that under IRA contributions.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

An IRA and a 401(k) are totally different. If you have a retirement plan through a regular W2 job with Code "D" in Box 12 - that's a 401(k), not an IRA.

Do not enter a 401(k) contribution in the program as an IRA contribution. You account for 401(k) contributions by entering your W2 and that's it. Your 401(k) contributions have already been removed from the taxable wages in Box 1 of your W2.

IRA contributions aren't handled through an employer. If you also made an IRA contribution of $5500 outside of employer, enter only that under IRA contributions.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies