turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dgevans51

Received Schedule K-1 for deceased brother's IRA after filing with substitute form 4852 with what I thought was final income amount. Did not receive as much as I filed?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Received Schedule K-1 for deceased brother's IRA after filing with substitute form 4852 with what I thought was final income amount. Did not receive as much as I filed?

Amend the return to remove the 4852  and add the K-1....

If the IRS accepts your return then you should wait on any Federal refund to arrive first, then amend the return by preparing Form 1040X to add the additional W-2 information.  If you end up having to prepare an amended return, it cannot be efiled; it has to be printed, signed, and mailed. 

In the meantime, do NOT make any changes in your original return.   If you have to resubmit or amend later, it has to start off with the return as you originally filed it.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288565

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Amend the return to remove the 4852  and add the K-1....

If the IRS accepts your return then you should wait on any Federal refund to arrive first, then amend the return by preparing Form 1040X to add the additional W-2 information.  If you end up having to prepare an amended return, it cannot be efiled; it has to be printed, signed, and mailed. 

In the meantime, do NOT make any changes in your original return.   If you have to resubmit or amend later, it has to start off with the return as you originally filed it.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288565

dmertz
Level 15

What the Schedule K-1 (Form 1041) implies is that your brother's estate received the distribution from your brother's IRA and you received distributable net income from your brother's estate, not a distribution directly from the IRA.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies