kira1

Am I suppose to add my mother's social security number when filing as a dependent?

My brother and I have both filed on Turbotax. My brother (22) had to input my mother's social security number, I, (17) however, did not see where to insert her information. Is there something that I did wrong?

DDollar

No, you do not include the social security number of the person that claimed (or will claim) you as a dependent.  You simply answer yes to the question: Can someone else claim you as a dependent?  in the "My Info" section of the step by step interview.

Did your brother claim your mom as his dependent by mistake?
kira1

I don't think so?

I cannot think of a reason why your brother would need Mom's SSN on his return.
kira1

I called my mom and she was confused too, maybe he filed something different?

Did he have to fill out papers for school financial aid?
kira1

Yes he was in college last year

He was likely working on his FAFSA forms.

No worries for you.. you do not need Mom's SSN for your return.
DDollar

macuser_22

If the dependent has unearned income is subject to form 8615 (kiddie tax) then the parents SSN is required.

Just thought of that--glad you did too.