Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Am I able to transfer my pension to a living trust? If so, Is this still taxable income when I file taxes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
AmyT

Am I able to transfer my pension to a living trust? If so, Is this still taxable income when I file taxes?

Yes, you should be able to transfer your pension to a revokable living trust.

A living trust has the same federal ID number that you do (your social security number).  Any income received by the trust is treated as your income (this will include taxable pension distributions).  This is not a vehicle to reduce your taxable income.

Trusts (revokable living or any other kind) are generally estate-planning or wealth transfer tools.  You should contact an estate/trust attorney and possibly a CPA who is experienced in estate and trust matters to discuss whether this is a good option for you.

Please note that if you establish a revokable living trust, you will need to either contribute all of your assets to the trust or discuss "pour over" provisions in your will with your estate attorney.  If you do not do so, you can create two entities upon your death (the trust, which becomes irrevokable, and your estate), which will make matters much more complex for the trustee and/or your executor. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies