turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ahb2018

All in 2018, I contributed to my Roth IRA for 2017 then partially withdrew a portion as an excess contribution. Besides 1099-R for 2018, do I need additional 2017 forms?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

All in 2018, I contributed to my Roth IRA for 2017 then partially withdrew a portion as an excess contribution. Besides 1099-R for 2018, do I need additional 2017 forms?

Hopefully you told the IRA custodian that this was a return of contributions and not a normal distribution  so that they will return any earnings on the excess and code the resulting 2018 1099-R correctly that you will receive next February to report on next years tax return.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Hopefully you told the IRA custodian that this was a return of contributions and not a normal distribution  so that they will return any earnings on the excess and code the resulting 2018 1099-R correctly that you will receive next February to report on next years tax return.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
ahb2018

Yes, the withdrawal was processed as a return to remove excess contributions. Thanks.
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies