turbotax icon
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

After Tax dollars in a traditional IRA

I have after tax dollars in my traditional IRA.  Rather than taking a pro-rata credit each year from my RMD, can I transfer the entire pre-tax amount to a Roth IRA without penalty?

2 Replies
Expert Alumni

After Tax dollars in a traditional IRA

Yes. If you have a Non-deductible IRA in addition to your regular IRA, you should have been keeping track of those amounts on Form 8606. You can convert both a Traditional and an non-deductible IRA, but if you convert both, you will have to do some calculating to know what the ratio is regarding the taxable and nontaxable portion of the IRA. .


Please see this link for more information.Conversion

Level 15

After Tax dollars in a traditional IRA

Because of the required pro-rata calculation, to convert your entire pre-tax balance in traditional IRAs to Roth you'll have to convert ALL of your traditional IRA funds to Roth.  The taxable amount of a conversion of all of your traditional IRA funds will be your entire balance in traditional IRAs minus your basis in nondeductible traditional IRA contributions.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing
Manage cookies