After tax 401k distribution to Roth

I contribute after tax dollars to my 401k.  I did an in service distribution from my 401k, which takes only the aftertax amount and any associated earnings out, and transferred it to my Roth IRA.  This is not a taxable event, but it is counting the distribution as taxable. 

After tax 401k distribution to Roth

It is taxable to the extent of the earnings included in the distribution.  Box 2a of the Form 1099-R should show the amount of the taxable earnings which you should see included on Form 1040 line 16b or Form 1040A line 12b.  The amount shown in box 5 of the Form 1099-R is the after-tax portion that you should see excluded from the amount on line 16b or 12b.  The word ROLLOVER should be present next to the line.

After tax 401k distribution to Roth