Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

About 8949. I previewed my tax return and on 8949 both my wife and I are named but only my social security number is showing. The accounts are hers. Can turbotax specify

Can turbotax specify which spouse owns the stocks?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

About 8949. I previewed my tax return and on 8949 both my wife and I are named but only my social security number is showing. The accounts are hers. Can turbotax specify

Form 8949 shows the Social Security Number of the first named person on the Form 1040 when a couple files as married, joint.  Accordingly all the security trades reported on the various Form 8949's will show the same Social Security Number as that's how the IRS tracks the information.  TurboTax has no facility to somehow declare "these trades belong to Spouse 1 or Spouse 2.

Tom Young

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Form 8949 shows the Social Security Number of the first named person on the Form 1040 when a couple files as married, joint.  Accordingly all the security trades reported on the various Form 8949's will show the same Social Security Number as that's how the IRS tracks the information.  TurboTax has no facility to somehow declare "these trades belong to Spouse 1 or Spouse 2.

Tom Young

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies