turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have Traditional IRA that paid me 22250.00 in 2016. I am 74 years old how much is taxable?

I received a 1099-R that indicates a gross of 22,500.00 dollars distributed last year.  I paid no State of Federal Taxes.  How do I determine how much is taxable?  Last year I was 74 years old.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

I have Traditional IRA that paid me 22250.00 in 2016. I am 74 years old how much is taxable?

A Traditional IRA is generally 100% taxable on the federal return.

All of it is taxable, most likely. The only way that its not 100% taxable is if you made nondeductible contributions into the IRA when you were contributing.

Many 1099-Rs say "Taxable Amount Not Determined." When it comes to Traditional IRAs, however, its not common for any of it to not be taxed. Age is not a factor in this.

After you input the 1099-R, continue past the 1099-R summary screen. You will be asked if you made nondeductible contributions. If you did, the program will calculate the taxable amount based on 1/ the total after-tax contributions you made and b/ the value of the account on 12/31/2016. You would have filed Form 8606 in the past if you made nondeductible contributions. If you indicate that no nondeductible contributions were made, the amount in Box 1 will be taxed.

Are you asking about your state too? You will need to specify which state you live in.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

A Traditional IRA is generally 100% taxable on the federal return.

All of it is taxable, most likely. The only way that its not 100% taxable is if you made nondeductible contributions into the IRA when you were contributing.

Many 1099-Rs say "Taxable Amount Not Determined." When it comes to Traditional IRAs, however, its not common for any of it to not be taxed. Age is not a factor in this.

After you input the 1099-R, continue past the 1099-R summary screen. You will be asked if you made nondeductible contributions. If you did, the program will calculate the taxable amount based on 1/ the total after-tax contributions you made and b/ the value of the account on 12/31/2016. You would have filed Form 8606 in the past if you made nondeductible contributions. If you indicate that no nondeductible contributions were made, the amount in Box 1 will be taxed.

Are you asking about your state too? You will need to specify which state you live in.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies