turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

alimpich
Returning Member

Where in TurboTax do I find the place where I should enter a contribution to a new donor-advised fund?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
ToddL

Where in TurboTax do I find the place where I should enter a contribution to a new donor-advised fund?

A contribution to a donor-advised fund is a "charitable donation" and entered as such on Schedule A, Line 16 or Line 17.

From Fidelity Investments:  What is a donor-advised fund?

As soon as you make a donation, you are eligible for an immediate tax deduction, just as you would by donating to another public charity. Your tax deduction may depend on the type of donation.

• Cash donation - If you donate cash, via check or wire transfer, you're generally eligible for an income tax deduction of up to 60% of your adjusted gross income.
  • Long-term appreciated assets - Donating long-term appreciated securities potentially allows you to maximize capital gains tax advantages, which could help you reduce taxes and ultimately give more to charity. If you have long-term appreciated assets, such as stocks, bonds or real estate, you have an opportunity to further maximize your deduction. By donating these types of assets directly to charity, you generally won't have to pay capital gains, and you can take an income tax deduction in the amount of the full fair-market value, up to 30% of your adjusted gross income (AGI).
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies