Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

401K withdrawal

Hello,

Question: I retired from my previous employer and I left my 401K with them which is currently held at Prudential Retirement and I am 55 yrs old. I withdrew some funds from my 401K and I was told by one of the Prudential rep that because I retired from my  employer and that I am 55 yrs old that the 10% tax penalty does not apply? Is that accurate? Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

401K withdrawal

The age at which early penalties for retirement plan distributions end is 59 1/2, not 55. You would have to have a special circumstance to avoid the early withdrawal penalty. 

One way to avoid the penalty would be to make substantially equal payments over a period of 5 years, ending no later than when you turn 591/2.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

401K withdrawal

Yes, I am aware and the Prudential Rep is aware of the 59 1/2 rule but since I retired from my Employer, he said there's no 10% tax penalty. Hmm....

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

401K withdrawal

He may be assuming you will make equal withdrawals as is typical for a pension plan, in which case you would not be subject to the penalty.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

401K withdrawal

TurboTax asks "If we can lower yiur tax bill", then enter the box 1 amount from the 1099-R in the separation of service box.

Screen Shot 2021-05-10 at 3.53.48 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2021-05-10 at 3.54.17 PM.jpg

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

401K withdrawal

The 55 rule is if you left the job that the 401K is attached to  in the year you turned 55 ... but you left that job sometime ago and are now taking out a distribution so that exception doesn't apply.  

401K withdrawal

Correct - as the box on the form says - you must have been 55 in the year, or before the year, of separation.

It does  not apply if you left employment before the year you reach age 55.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies