Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

401k transfer forms

I transferred a 401k from a previous job to my new employers 401k in may of 2016. I know I am tax exempt on that but is there any forms I should be filing with my taxes?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

401k transfer forms

The plan administrator for your old employer's 401(k) plan is required to send you a Form 1099-R reporting this distribution that you rolled over.  They have until the end of January to make this form available to you, so wait for it.  Once you receive it, you must enter it under Wages & Income -> Retirement Plans and Social Security -> IRA, 401(k) Pension Plan Withdrawals (1099-R) and answer the follow-up questions to indicate that you rolled this money over to another 401(k) plan.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

401k transfer forms

The plan administrator for your old employer's 401(k) plan is required to send you a Form 1099-R reporting this distribution that you rolled over.  They have until the end of January to make this form available to you, so wait for it.  Once you receive it, you must enter it under Wages & Income -> Retirement Plans and Social Security -> IRA, 401(k) Pension Plan Withdrawals (1099-R) and answer the follow-up questions to indicate that you rolled this money over to another 401(k) plan.

401k transfer forms

If you rolled your 401(k) over within the 60-day period, then there is nothing you need to file with your tax form.  Keep any documentation that you have, like the amount rolled over, dates, and amounts. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies