Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lmf24

1099R page for Roth IRA info says "You Must fix errors on this page before continuing" but does not tell me what/where the errors are.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

1099R page for Roth IRA info says "You Must fix errors on this page before continuing" but does not tell me what/where the errors are.

When there is an error, sometimes the fastest approach would be to delete the form and add it again.

If something was inadvertently added on a page, even a $0, it could interfere. Please click on this link about entering Roth IRA's in TurboTax Online to go to a Community article about entering the 1099-R for a Roth.

The basis. or amount of the original investment, in the Roth IRA may still need to be entered into TurboTax. 

The distribution code is very important and is found in Box 7. Please check that this is entered exactly as the 1099-R was issued. 

Cbersa01

I have a problem completing 1099-R and have received 'You Must fix errors on this page before continuing' error statement.

My specific questions are:

1. If the form has a blank for 9a, 9b, 11 and 14, and I leave it blank on the Turbo form is this correct or should I input 0?
  2. If I have G for box 7 can Turbo Tax still work for me?

Thank you for your help.

Leave any black box blank.  Entering a 0 (zero) will cause errors.  Try deleting the 1099-R and re-enter.

Box 7 code G is a direct trustee-to-trustee rollover.   If box 2a is zero then it is a taxable rollover to a Traditional IRA.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
Twin_Time
Returning Member

Hi, I'm having a similar issue with the 1099 R Roth Ira. It says "You must fix error..." on box 7 due to invalid code.

I do NOT have an invalid code. It is correct, with distribution codes "B 2" in box 7.  There is nothing to "correct" yet it won't let me choose leave B 2 in there and I cannot e-file. Can someone please offer advise? thank you very much. AC

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

The combination of code B and code 2 is appropriate if:

1. This was a withdrawal from an eligible automatic contribution arrangement (EACA); and 
  2. The distribution is from a designated Roth account.

If this is your situation and you are still getting an error, please delete the 1099-R and re-enter it.  To delete an individual form, please follow these steps:

TurboTax Online

1. While in your return, click on Tax Tools > Tools (in the black bar at the side of your screen).  
  2. In the Tools Center, under Other helpful links click on Delete a form.
  3. Click Delete next to the form you want to delete and follow the onscreen instructions. 
  4. Once you have finished deleting the desired form(s) click the Continue with My Return box (in the lower right of your screen).

TurboTax CD/Download

1. Go into Forms Mode by clicking on the Forms icon in the top right of the blue bar
  2. In the Forms in My Return list on the left, click on the form you wish to open and delete.
  3. Click on the Delete Form box at the bottom of the screen.
  4. To return to the interview, click on the Step-By-Step icon in the top right of the blue bar.  

[Edited | 2/26/2021 6:06am PST]

@Twin_Time

Twin_Time
Returning Member

Thank you, Irene! Super helpful and much appreciated. XO

@Irene2805 wrote:

In Box 7 on the 10999-R entry screen, remove Code 2 (even if it is on your 1099-R) and only enter Code B.

Code B is for a designated Roth distribution.  However, Code 2 does NOT apply to Roth distributions -- it is for Early Distribution except Roth IRA.

Code B is not for a Roth IRA, it is a designated Roth.

Box 7 code B2 certainly is a valid code

The 1099-R instructions say:

"If the distribution is from a designated Roth account, enter Code B as well as Code 2 in box 7."

https://www.irs.gov/instructions/i1099r#idm140339525637456

If there are 2 coded in box 7 then check the box under box 7 to add the 2nd code.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies