turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1099R form box 15. If bank won’t supply the state payors number how do I get past the error check as that box can’t be blank Is the state payor no the same as fein in MI?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

1099R form box 15. If bank won’t supply the state payors number how do I get past the error check as that box can’t be blank Is the state payor no the same as fein in MI?

Please see this answer from AndreaC5:

Every payer of the retirement distribution does not obtain payer numbers for every state. If your payer has one for your state and they have withheld any state income tax, it would be listed in box 13 on the 1099-R. If there is nothing listed in the State Payer number box (box 13), you can input NA (not available) in that box in the TurboTax software.

If you have state income taxes withheld by your employer and there is an amount in box 12 on the 1099-R, contact the issuer and have them to send you a corrected 1099-R with the state payer’s number included.

I asked about box 15 you replied about box 13 which on the 2020 1099R form that is a payment date field. So no it did not answer my question. Thankfully the bank did finally give me their number which is their fein. Just wish turbo tax didn’t make it a required field without explanation.  If entering NA would work a hint box in the program would be great.

Yeah...the answer was from something posted last year....or before

For 2020, the IRS moved boxes 12,13,14 to boxes 14,15,16.....so what was box 13 on a 2019 1099-R, is now box 15 for 2020 1099-R.

Usually, a state EIN is only needed if there is state withholding.  IF that happens.. "sometimes" making boxes 14 and 15 entirely blank works (especially for states without an income tax)   but I can't even guess what would happen in every state circumstance.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies