Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

JDTeach

1099r box 2a taxable amount is blank and taxable amount not determined box in 2b is not checked, he total distribution box is. What do I do for the taxable amount?

Box 7 has distribution code 7 and box 3 has an amount in it.  My husband left his job and started a new job.  All we did was close the retirement account and deposit the check into a traditional IRA within the 60 day time period. I have no idea what to enter into bob 2a and Turbo tax won't let it blank.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

1099r box 2a taxable amount is blank and taxable amount not determined box in 2b is not checked, he total distribution box is. What do I do for the taxable amount?

Do not enter anything in box 2a. Leave it blank. After entering the 1099-R, answer all the follow up questions. One of the questions will ask you what you did with the money and you will answer that you rolled it over to an IRA.

JDTeach

I did that but it tells me that box 3 can't have an amount that is larger than the amount in box 2a

That seems like a mistake by whoever issued the 1099-R. Contact them and explain the issue and request a corrected 1099-R.
dmertz
Level 15

This is an improperly prepared Form 1099-R.  If box 2a is left blank by the payer, the payer is required to mark box 2b Taxable amount not determined.

Similar for me, my 2a is blank, the 2b is not checked, and it was a total distribution because it was from a death benefit, and that is blank too.  Now I know it's improperly prepared but my taxes happen to be due today because I owe.  Turbo tax says 2 a must have a value, even if it is zero.  If I put zero, they owe me a ton, which I know is wrong.  So I'm stuck and I don't know what to enter

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies