Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1099Q, Distribution Transfer page, it asks: Did you roll over or transfer all or part of this distribution of $$$$ within 60 days to another qualified tuition program?

Can you please clarify this question.  such as, the 529 plan pays directly to the institution.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
ToddL

1099Q, Distribution Transfer page, it asks: Did you roll over or transfer all or part of this distribution of $$$$ within 60 days to another qualified tuition program?

This is the roll-over option for funds in a 529 plan. You can take the money out and transfer it to another qualified tuition  plan without getting taxed on the accumulated earnings. 

If the 529 distribution went directly to the school (or to the parent or the student) for expenses, then the answer to this question is "No".

If you took the 529 distribution (all or part) and transferred it to another 529 (or similarly qualified plan), then the answer to this question is "Yes".

feiwenw
Returning Member

Hi, 

If I choose "No", i ended up paying the tax for 529plan which is not correct. Please advise the answer should be "yes", if i rollover all to pay the tuition. Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

The same thing is happening to me. Did you ever get a response?

AmyC
Expert Alumni

The 1099-Q should not be entered if all of the money went to qualified expenses. The 1099-Q should only be entered if there is a tax consequence. It is an informational form, not a tax form.

From   IRS Publication 970, Tax Benefits for Education:

If the entire 1099-Q went to qualified expenses, room and board, tuition, etc then you do not need to enter the form. Tuition paid for the first 3 months of the next year also qualify, see page 12, What Expenses Qualify, and page 52 for qualified distributions

@Anonymous 

@feiwenw 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies