Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1099-R taxable amount in 2b but taxable amount not determined checked.

I over contributed to my roth ira in 2020, I'm 29 years old. I over contributed by 4,000, when I noticed I had added too much I withdrew my over contribution plus the earnings, for a total of 4585.87 (585.87 of earnings)

added 2k in March 2020, 2k in October 2020, withdrew early December 2020.

I entered my 1099-R, it looks like im paying tax on the full 4585.87, since it was an over contribution all done within the current year, my understanding is that I should just be paying tax on the 585.87 (the earnings). Am I missing something?  I don't see any prompts from Turbotax on how to explain that it's a removal of excess contributions and I'm paying about $1500 in tax on this.  How do I proceed here, I would expect to only pay tax on the earnings.

1099-R

IRS Box Item Value

1 Gross Distribution $4,585.87

2a Taxable Amount $4,585.87

2b Taxable Amount Not Determined Yes

2b Total Distribution No

4 Federal Income Tax Withheld $458.59

7 Distribution Code(s) J8

7 IRA/SEP/SIMPLE No

14 State Tax Withheld $0.00

17 Local Tax Withheld $0.00

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

Is there any source you can reference to backup that the taxable amount should be 0?  I wanted a second opinion as Betterment reiterated the form is correct, I'm getting conflicting info.

dmertz
Level 15

I never said that the taxable amount is zero.  I said that the taxable amount is the $585.87 on the $4,000 contribution for 2020 that was returned.  A correct Form 1099-R will have $4,585.87 in box 1, $585.87 in box 2a box 2b Taxable amount not determined not marked and codes J an 8 in box 7.

I refer you to the instructions for 2020 Form 1099-R.  See the top of page 12 where it says:

However, for the distribution of excess Roth IRA contributions, report the gross distribution in box 1 and only the earnings in box 2a. Enter Code J and Code 8 or P in box 7.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-prior/i1099r--2020.pdf

Unless you and not Betterment did the earnings calculation, there is no reason for Betterment to have put anything other than the earnings amount in box 2a and no reason to have marked box 2b Taxable amount not determined.  Even if they did have a good reason to mark box 2b Taxable amount not determined, the instructions for Form 1099-R say to leave box 2a blank under these circumstances.  See this instructions for line 2a on page 11:

Generally, you must enter the taxable amount in box 2a. However, if you are unable to reasonably obtain the data needed to compute the taxable amount, leave this box blank.

On a code J8 Form 1099-R, having the same amount in box 2a as in box 1 would imply that the original contribution that generated the earnings shown in box 2a was $0, which is preposterous.

If Betterment is uncooperative in correcting their reporting error, you'll need to file a substitute Form 1099-R (Form 4852) to provide the correct reporting.

This is perfect, thank you dmertz!

and by 0 I had meant blank for 2b, but you're correct,  you did not say 0, I misspoke. 

Thanks again!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies