Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Your taxes, your way. Get expert help or do it yourself. >> Get started
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

1099-R for dependent

My mom lives with us and is my dependent. How do I enter a 1099-R for her?
2 Replies
Level 15

1099-R for dependent

You do not report his/her income on your return. If it has to be reported at all, it goes on his own return. Your dependent  must file a tax return for 2016 if he had any of the following:

1.         Total income (wages, salaries, taxable scholarship etc.) of more than $6,300* (2016).

2.         Unearned income (interest, dividends, capital gains, 1099-R) of more than $1050 (2016).

3.         Unearned income over $350 and gross income of more than $1050

4.         Household employee income (e.g. baby sitting, lawn mowing) over $2000 

5.         Other self employment income over $400, including box 7 of a 1099-MISC 

6. Gross income was at least $5 and his spouse files a separate return and itemizes deductions

*If her 1099-R plus any other income, except social security, is more than $4050;  she cannot be your dependent.

Level 15

1099-R for dependent

A person can still be a Qualifying relative dependent, if not a Qualifying Child, if he meets the 6 tests for claiming a dependent:
1. Closely Related OR live with the taxpayer ALL year
2. His/her gross taxable income for the year must be less than $4,050 (2016)
3. The taxpayer must have provided more than 1/2 his support
4. He must be a US citizen or resident of the US, Canada or Mexico
5. He must not file a joint return with his spouse or be claiming a dependent of his own
6. He must not be the qualifying child of another taxpayer

Social security doesn't count as income, for the income test, but social security money he/she spends on her self does count as support not provided by you, for the support test. Money she puts into savings & investment does not count as support she spent on herself. Note that a parent is closely related so there is no requirement that she live with you at any time, during the year. But if you provided a home it helps your support case, unless they own the home you live in. If no one person (or married couple) provides 50% of the support (for example your siblings are also sending support), then a "multiple support agreement” (IRS Form 2120) can be used, to allow you to claim the dependent. <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href=""></a>
The IRS has a worksheet that can be used to help with the support calculation. See: <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href=""...> The support value of a home is the fair market rental value, divided by the number of occupants.

About Community

Learn about taxes, budgeting, saving, borrowing, reducing debt, investing, and planning for retirement.



Manage cookies