Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1099-R entry in TT (NON-IRA,401K,simple ira) is requesting RMD

I have a 1099-R for a non-IRA, non-401K and non-simple IRA income...simply retirement income from an annuity that was purchased from taxed income and TT asks me to complete RMD section (which does not apply to this annuity)  and then somewhat warns/scolds me that I will owe 50% tax.  This is wrong!  How do I enter this income??????  The income of course is from growth on the already taxed money....and with this particular annuity, it is set up as "last in/first out".  RMD should NOT apply with this annuity income. Please provide some clarity for me as far as entry so I don't set off any IRS alarms.  Thank you

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
MichaelG81
Expert Alumni

Can you please clarify, what codes are in your boxes of your 1099-R? Are amounts, basis included on form? Does it have a taxable amount on the form?

@drivemetodrink 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Box 1 & 2a have same amount; 2b is blank (no check marks);  box 5 is $0.02; box 7 is 7D; all others are blank or zero.  Thank you for asking..I appreciate your assistance.

DanaB27
Expert Alumni

You seem to be getting the 50% penalty tax for not taking an RMD. If you don't own any retirement account that requires RMD then you will select on the "Tell us more about the retirement plan distribution" screen "I was not required to take an RMD for 2022". Your age triggered this question.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you Dana for your reply.  That does provide some clarity......I assumed I would need to answer the "tell us more segment" in the software.  And I understand that my age likely trigered this event (and also the fact I do receive 1099-R's for other accounts that DO require an RMD). However, it is dissappointing that TT cannot program itself to recognize a flag on my 1099-R (The IRA/SEP/SIMPLE is NOT checked)  Us novice and "aged" tax preparers rely on TT software to provide a "comfort level" of accuracy.......not a cloud of doubt and uncertainty.  Hopefully TT will read this note and make corrections to their program

Thank you again for you assitance Dana.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies