1099 R distribution code 2 or 7

H2

1099 R distribution code 2 or 7

Retired after age 55 receive pension 

Distribution code has been a 2.

Will the code change to 7 after age 59 1/2.

I know the code doesn’t make a difference for federal taxes.  However it does for my state and local taxes.

What constitutes “normal distribution” code 7?  After age 59 1/2  or after I reach normal distribution for the company’s pension plan?

macuser_22

1099 R distribution code 2 or 7

The payer must know that the account owner has reached the age of 59 1/2 before a code 7 can be used.

https://www.irs.gov/instructions/i1099r#idm140345395727808

SteamTrain

1099 R distribution code 2 or 7

In the year I turned 59.5, my pension issued two 1099-R forms. 

One detailing just the before 59.5 $$ and a code 2....and a second one with just the after 59.5 $$ and a code 7.   I would hope your pension does similar to make it perfectly clear.  I suspect that they are required to do it that way.

*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
martwm6489

1099 R distribution code 2 or 7

the code is 7.  the plan is a 403b. Mi public school employees retirement system and it is qualified. Turbo tax wants an answer about required minimum distribution and then it wants to know how much of the gross distribution was RMD

SteamTrain

1099 R distribution code 2 or 7

@martwm6489 

IF you were age 70.5 or older in 2019, and the distribution was just from the normal monthly annuitized payments they make  (you didn't take anything extra out of the account) then all of it is an RMD.

kaede2009

1099 R distribution code 2 or 7

code 7

kaede2009

1099 R distribution code 2 or 7

Thanks

kaede2009

1099 R distribution code 2 or 7

ok