turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1099-R bug

I have a 1099-R with the box 7 value of code G, and the money distributed was, in actual fact, properly rolled over to a new Roth IRA with a different investment firm.

While entering the 1099-R information into Turbotax, there's a screen where it asks "Was this money rolled over to a Roth IRA?", to which I answered "yes".  After I completed the 1099-R wizard, I went back to edit the information to make sure I hadn't made any mistakes, and on the "Was this money rolled over to a Roth IRA" screen, the answer selected was now "no".  I changed it back to "yes", continued to the end.  I edited again to confirm, and again the "no" option was selected on that screen.  It absolutely refuses to accept "yes" as an answer.

I checked for software updates immediately before posting this, and I am up to date, but this extremely glaring bug persists.  The only way I can figure to work around it is to bail out of the wizard before it asks that question, since it seems to do the right thing with my taxes due after I have filled out the first screen of the wizard (entering the info in boxes 1-13), and only produces the wrong result (of taxing the distribution) if I work all the way through the wizard.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

1099-R bug

If you repeat the interview, it is like starting over so you must re-answer the question.    Answers that only direct you to the next screen are not remembered.

A code G 1099-R that is rolled to a Roth is normally taxable unless there is an amount in box 5 that is subtracted from the box 1 amount and is in box 2a.   A code G implies a Traditional 401(k) that is before tax money that is taxable when  converted to an after-tax Roth unless the 401(k) contained after-tax contributions that would be shown in box 5.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies