turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1099-R, block 7

I receive a Federal annuity from the Office of Personnel Management (OPM).  Turbo Tax asks for the codes in Blocks 7a and 7b and won't let me continue without entering them.  My 1099-R from OPM doesn't have these blocks.  It has Block 7 which shows "7 - NONDISABILITY."  The Turbo Tax drop down has a code 7, but it is not described as "NONDISABILITY."  When I select "7" from the drop down, it asks questions that make it sound like this is money distributed from an IRA, 401(k).  I am confused.  Please help.  Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

1099-R, block 7

OPM does that.  They throw in a word that is supposed to be helpful but confuses people when filing their tax return.  There is no such code 7 - NonDisability.

The Code of 7 in Box 7 mean a Normal Distribution, so you select the code of 7 in box 7.

If you are under the age of 70 1/2 where asked What you did with the money? select Did something else with it.  Assuming you did NOT move the money to another retirement account.

If you are age 70 1/2 or older then where asked Was this withdrawal an RMD? select Yes and then All was an RMD.  When you are age 70 1/2 or older All of your pension income is an RMD.

AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

1099-R, block 7

The code on your Form 1099-R that shows as 7 - NONDISABILITY is the equivalent code 7 for normal distribution that most Form 1099-R use.  You will only need to enter it in the first dropdown area for box 7.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies