Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member


My grandpa lives in Texas and has been retired for a few years now so he does not file anymore. He has a personal savings account that he has had for many years now but this is the first year that he receives a form 1099-INT and on box 1 it has $33.74. Does he now have to file or does he need to do anything with this form?

1 Reply
Level 15


He may still be required to file a federal tax return even though Texas does not have a personal income tax. If he is single, he will be required to file a tax return if his taxable income is more than $12,400. Taxable income includes IRA and 401(k) withdrawals but does not include basic social security.  If he files a tax return, he must report all of his taxable income.


If this interest statement is his only income other than Social Security, he would not be required to file a return.

*Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute legal or tax advice.*
**If a post answers your question, choose it by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer".**