turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1099-b....When I got to enter my info the only options given are boxes 1d or 1e, but my form has the amount in boxes 8, 9, 10, 11.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

1099-b....When I got to enter my info the only options given are boxes 1d or 1e, but my form has the amount in boxes 8, 9, 10, 11.

Unless you are a broker, you do not have to worry about it, and it isn't reportable.

This, from the Instructions for Form 1099-B:

Regulated Futures Contracts, Foreign Currency Contracts, and Section 1256 Option Contracts (Boxes 8 Through 11)—Brokers Only:    If you complete boxes 8 through 11, do not complete any other numbered box except box 1a and, if applicable, box 4.

Also, do not complete the “Applicable check box on Form 8949” box. Box 8. Profit or (Loss) Realized in 2017 on Closed Contracts

Enter the profit or (loss) realized by the customer on closed regulated futures, foreign currency, or Section 1256 option contracts in 2017.

Box 9. Unrealized Profit or (Loss) on Open Contracts—12/31/2016 Enter the unrealized profit or (loss) on open regulated futures, foreign currency, or Section 1256 option contracts at the end of 2016. Do not include amounts related to contracts that were open on 12/31/15 and were transferred to another broker during 2016.

Box 10. Unrealized Profit or (Loss) on Open Contracts—12/31/2017 Enter the unrealized profit or (loss) on open regulated futures, foreign currency, or Section 1256 option contracts at the end of 2017.

Box 11. Aggregate Profit or (Loss) on Contracts Enter the aggregate profit or (loss) for the year from regulated futures, foreign currency, or Section 1256 option contracts. Use boxes 8, 9, and 10 to figure the aggregate profit or (loss). 

febroker

The form 1099B itself says this loss should be reported on form 6781.

Form 6781 is "Gains and Losses From Section 1256 Contracts and Straddles ".  It's very similar to the title of the title of the interview, isn't it?

You need to us the "Contracts and Straddles" interview, not the "Stocks, Mutual Funds, Bonds, Other" interview.

Tom Young

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies