turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bthe

1099-B statements do not reflect basis stepp up to the values at the time of death. How do I file my mother's tax return this year and avoid the gains on the account?

My mother's cost basis was to be updated to the values at the time of her dearth in August of 2017.  However, the 1099-B reports that I received ignore this.  How do I use the stepped up basis to the values at time of death to avoid taxable gains on her taxes for 2017.  Do I ask for restated 1099-B's of can I reflect this in Turbotax?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

1099-B statements do not reflect basis stepp up to the values at the time of death. How do I file my mother's tax return this year and avoid the gains on the account?

No, you can manually adjust the cost basis to reflect the stepped up basis. 

There are many reasons the basis on a 1099-B can be wrong, so altering is not a red flag to the IRS. 

If you are unsure of the cost basis at the time of her death, follow this link to find historical stock values: 

Historical Stock Prices

View solution in original post

2 Replies

No, you can manually adjust the cost basis to reflect the stepped up basis. 

There are many reasons the basis on a 1099-B can be wrong, so altering is not a red flag to the IRS. 

If you are unsure of the cost basis at the time of her death, follow this link to find historical stock values: 

Historical Stock Prices

any 1099-B transaction in her account must have occurred while she was alive. she does not get a stepped up basis by dying.

YOU get a stepped up basis if you inherit the securities and sell them.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies