Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

What are you moving to now that Mint is shutting down?

I switched to Mint about five years ago because the budgeting tool in the Quicken version for Macs made addition and subtractions mistakes!!

Those mistakes lost my trust in Quicken.

Happy to report Monrach Money is the way to go. They are offering 50% discount for anyone coming from MINT. MINT was developed by same developer as MONARCH MONEY. I have tried INTUIT CREDIT CARMA. It is for school kids looking for credit. I tried QUICKEN...too complicated and doesnt sync properly. I tried INTUIT ONLINE QUICK BOOKS...also too complicated. See https://www.businessinsider.com/personal-finance/[product key removed]h-to-budgeting-app-monarch-mon...

Monarch Money. https://www.nytimes.com/2023/11/11/your-money/mint-budgeting-app-alternatives.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/11/11/your-money/mint-budgeting-app-alternatives.html

The app was designed by the same inventor of MINT before it was sold to INTUIT. I've tried CREDIT KARMA.....serious deficits to MINT and CREDIT KARMA appears to be more of an advertising tool. I've tried QUICKEN which is not bad...but more complicated than MINT.  Ive tried INTUIT QUICKBOOKS...but also too complicated. Recently signed up for MONARCH MONAY and it seems this will be the closest to MINT for tracking finances across various platforms and institutions.

How’s monarch working out? 

Quicken is ok…but quite a bit more complicated since it has more functionality.

Credit Karma will ruin Intuit reputation. Terrible program! I am trying Quicken…more functionality but also more complicated….Monarch Money was designed by the team who originally sold MINT to Intuit…so far this is the closest match…also tried QuickBooks…which is more complicated that Quicken. My opinion MONARCH might be the best alternative to MINT.

So far OK. It’s still not MINT but for the most part the same…in some cases a bit better and some worse. Graphics not as good. I don’t use budgeting so not sure if that is comparative. I track investments accross 4 platforms and about 14 bank accounts and use it to track spending categories at the end of the month. Quicken has better functionality but also more complicated.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I tested out 3 alternatives: Monarch, Empower and Credit Karma.  For our personal situation monarch won. It was tedious moving 14 years of mint data to monarch account by account, with lots of data cleanup, but I like monarch's product better and I am OK paying for it. I don't feel like I'm being marketed some other financial products like empower or credit karma. Monarch is also very responsive and transparent in the features they are building, and you can actually have input.   If you want to spend the time and money, monarch is the way to go.  Their handling of investment accounts is subpar, but they claim to be working to start handling transactions within investment accounts right now.  I really hope monarch makes it as a business, but it will require more people who are willing to pay for this type of service. I have experienced some account disconnects which I didn't on mint, but I have faith things are being worked through and will only get better.  

Empower (formerly personal capital) is also a good product, but they want to sell you advisory services. It doesn't have the granular features that monarch has (or mint had), but it is good for just keeping track of things and does a really good job with investment accounts. My worry with empower is they will also choose to shut this down at the point they find it isn't generating the revenue they expect. 

Credit Karma isn't even worth talking about.  I'll be submitting a data deletion request with intuit shortly.  Farewell mint! You played a key role in our financial lives the past 14 years, and we will miss you.  

I’ve been monitoring this issue for a month. I use mint primarily for budgeting annually and tracking monthly activities. I love the net worth tracking including my wide variety of investments.
I use BoA to track my investments and notice they do have a budget feature. It seems this is a monthly budget vs annual.
Now that I’m at year end budget clean up and set  for 24. what options provide the budgeting features of Mint. (Which I love to continue using since2010.)

In case anyone isn't aware, Mint won't shut off till end of March, so we still have a few months to explore options.

I've been using Monarch for a month now and I think it is the one we'll stick with. It does everything Mint does regarding budgeting. Though the UI is a bit messier, it is also more functional.

But there is one feature I haven't come across yet, wondering if anyone else has seen a budgeting app that does this: Automatically set the new month's budget to = the income of the previous month. Right now I have to set this manually, but I like this approach as it keeps me honest about how much $$ I actually have to budget against. Monarch doesn't offer this, but the support team is pretty responsive so I hope it is something they will consider adding. Right now it seems the way budgeting works is to set your budget based on average income over the past 3 months, which is close but not exactly what I want.

Other niggling issues. Investment accounts aren't able to track transactions yet, so it looks like my 401K account didn't exist until 2 months ago, throwing off my balance history by a lot. Also, since Mint doesn't allow you to download property value history, Monarch is also unable to transfer that, which again affects net worth history. Not deal breakers, just slight annoyances. Overall the data transfer process from Mint, though time consuming, went fairly smoothly.

I also very briefly tried Quicken Simplifi, since they are offering a whole year free if you switch from Mint. One big red flag for me though is that they cannot connect to Citibank unless you disable 2fa. This has been a known issue for over a year, so it's pretty alarming that they haven't figured out a solution when Mint and others have had no issue.

You might see Simplifi marketing (ads in search or on webpages) claiming it was crowned the best budgeting app by NYT's The Wirecutter. However, The Wirecutter has removed that review from their site, so take of that what you will.

I’m retired and need the annualized budget and spend along with net worth to estimate retirement fund withdrawal and tax impacts.  Mint was perfect . Especially the feature that allows monthly budget and spend to rollover to see a calendar year spend vs annual budget. 
Anyone seeing those capabilities? 

Continued from prior: Another mint feature was the ability to zero out a particular budget line especially at end of calendar or fiscal year and to see prior time period spends monthly or annually. 

I don't know of an app that does that, but I've had the same question.

@tvinci1 good questions... here's what I can see in Monarch:

1. Monthly budget rollovers are allowed. Use this all the time.
  2. I am able to see full spend vs. income for all previous years I have data for (2013 in my case). If you're trying Monarch, to see this on desktop you have to click on 'Budget' in the left hand tab, then 'Forecast' in the header left-hand side, then 'Yearly' in the header right-hand side, then just to the right of 'Yearly' use the arrows to move through past years. Not exactly intuitive, but it works.
  3. I'm not sure what you mean by "zero out a budget line" but if you uncheck the box for monthly rollover, it should clear it.
  4. You can see prior time period spend per month or year as far back as you have data.

Appreciate the budgeting details. By zero out, I mean at end of year I can zero out any particular category and start the new year fresh.

Haven’t migrated to monarch, but looking at the capabilities on their website, this seems to be available. You can also split transactions. 
question: can you adjust a net income line item to gross amount and split taxes and heath insurance? 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies