turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Tleshea
Returning Member

Third stimulus check

Just know moving forward I will not be using turbotax. I updated info through portal and its still deposited to wrong account! My kids and I were counting on it. The people that need it the most seem to be the ones that cant it. 

lydianette12345
Returning Member

Third stimulus check

@G76808  Hello I’m in the same situation, did you got any more information or did you already got your stimulus?  

Third stimulus check

Lol boy you’re **bleep**. “ people who need it the most can’t seem to get it” just because you filed it wrong doesn’t mean there’s a whole conspiracy against making it hard for people to get it. You made an error, accept it. Also no one cares whether or not you use  TurboTax in the future  or not, get over yourself 

Third stimulus check

The third stimulus payment  is different than the first two because now you can be a dependent and still be eligible.    Here is a TurboTax article about the American Rescue Plan.

@lydianette12345

lydianette12345
Returning Member

Third stimulus check

@ReneeM7122  thank you for your answer, the situation is my sister who claimed me as a dependent on 2019, she already did her taxes and didn’t claimed me as a dependent now at 2020 she already got her stimulus and mine wasn’t there. So my question is if I’m going to get it by myself and if I qualify? 

thank you 

Tleshea
Returning Member

Third stimulus check

Obviously you did something stupid that has you scrolling on TurboTax help idiot. If you don't like what was stated just **bleep** off. @jadden61 

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

Third stimulus check

You will get a third stimulus sent to you if you are not a dependent. If you have not filed your tax return yet, you may not be on the list yet (even though your sister did not claim you). 

You can check the status of your third stimulus payment at Get My Payment? If there is no payment showing, you will have to file a 2020 tax return to get on the list. The IRS has not said yet how they will deal with catch up payments.

Generally, if you are a U.S. citizen or U.S. resident alien, you are eligible for the full amount of the third Economic Impact Payment if you (and your spouse if filing a joint return) are not a dependent of another taxpayer and have a valid Social Security number (see exception when married filing jointly) and your adjusted gross income (AGI) on their tax return does not exceed:

• $150,000 if married and filing a joint return or if filing as a qualifying widow or widower
  • $112,500 if filing as head of household or
  • $75,000 for eligible individuals using any other filing statuses, such as single filers and married people filing separate returns.

Payments will be phased out – or reduced -- above those AGI amounts. This means taxpayers will not receive a third payment if their AGI exceeds:

• $160,000 if married and filing a joint return or if filing as a qualifying widow or widower
  • $120,000 if filing as head of household or
  • $80,000 for eligible individuals using other filing statuses, such as single filers and married people filing separate returns.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
lydianette12345
Returning Member

Third stimulus check

@ErnieS0  Thank you so much for the information. 

Third stimulus check

What do you do when the IRS insists that someone claimed you as a dependent and thus are not elegible? I have called so many times and not gotten anywhere. 

They say that I am not eligible because someone supposedly claimed me as a dependent. When they look further, they see its not true but refuse to fix things so that I can get the stimulus. 

This all started with Turbo Tax placing a check box on my 1040 under the "Someone Else Can Claim: My Spouse As A Dependent"

https://www.forbes.com/sites/robertberger/2020/08/15/some-turbotax-users-say-a-single-checked-box-ke...

The software did the same thing this year although Turbotax claimed to have fixed it.

G76808
Returning Member

Third stimulus check

Yes, I received my payment on 3/17. 

Third stimulus check

The software cannot check the box for you; it is a response to an interview question asking if you (or your spouse) can be claimed as someone else's dependent.  The first and second stimulus checks did not allow this; however, for the third stimulus payment, the law was changed. 

The IRS has urged people to wait for guidance on issues that are coming up during the tax season such as this; however the guidance is still forthcoming.  They may very well state that your return should be amended.  Should you wish to do so, and uncheck the box, follow the instructions in the links below:

TurboTax Online

TurboTax CD/Download

Here is updated information about the stimulus payments:

How will the third stimulus impact me?

The American Rescue Plan provides relief for millions of Americans through numerous measures, including a third round of stimulus checks, unemployment benefit extensions, and expansions of the Child Tax Credit and the federal Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC).

This means if you qualify for a third stimulus check, you could get up to $1,400 for each taxpayer in your household plus $1,400 for each dependent.

• Families earning less than $150,000 a year and individuals earning less than $75,000 a year should get the full $1,400 per person.
  • Families earning up to $160,000 per year and individuals earning up to $80,000 per year will receive prorated amounts.
  • One notable difference from the first two stimulus is that you will receive stimulus payments for all your dependents, including adult dependents and college students.

To find out if you are eligible and how much you can expect, visit our stimulus calculator.

Do I need to apply to get a stimulus check?

You don’t need to do anything to get your stimulus check. The IRS will determine eligibility based on your last tax return (either 2019 or 2020) and will likely send your payment to the bank account where your tax refund was deposited. If you haven’t filed your 2020 return yet, you can do that now to give your most recent information to the IRS, including bank account or address information to help ensure your stimulus check goes to the right place.

When will I get my stimulus check?

The IRS has not announced a date yet, but we will provide an update here as soon as it becomes available.

Stimulus payment FAQs

Will the stimulus affect my taxes for this year? Or next year?

Do I need to file a 2020 tax return to get a stimulus check if I don’t normally file taxes?

How will I know if I was issued a stimulus check?

What if I already filed my 2020 taxes?

Can I change my information?

Where will my stimulus payment go if I used a Turbo Card to receive my refund?

What is TurboTax doing to ensure that payments go to the right accounts?

Will I get a stimulus check if someone claimed me as a dependent?

@harryhoudini66

Third stimulus check

Hi Renee,

I appreciate you trying to help. However, in this case things are different. In short, this is a known issue and one that has carried over from when I did check this box in my 2018 taxes. Since then, the "interview" question never came up again and the software automatically checked the box for me.

When I completed my taxes this year, I carefully read over everything to make sure that I did not answer the "interview" question. Well, it did not come up at all. Now, where I failed was in trusting that the prior issue was actually fixed and not double checking the final 1040. If I had, I would have caught that the glitch occurred again.

Please refer to the following links for full details.

The original post in which this glitch was first reported back 2020.

TurboTax finally admitting the error, downplaying its impact & claiming to fixed it going forward.

News outlets that covered the glitch.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/robertberger/2020/08/15/some-turbotax-users-say-a-single-checked-box-ke...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Evz_xTaWgEE&t=6s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwfYB2Z1xr0

This is when it resurfaced again in 2021

At this point, I am waiting for the 1040X to be available. As luck would have it, the form does not reference the box in question and I therefore have to explain what occurred, elsewhere within the form. I just hope this gets resolved as I am out  $6,000 ($1,200 EIP1,$600 EIP2, EIP3 $4,200) due to this "glitch".

@ReneeM7122 

Third stimulus check

@harryhoudini66  We just want you to know that the latest news we have received is that the IRS assures that they will amend amounts that are due as a result of the American Rescue Plan.  They have indicated that they will issue refunds due to overpayment of tax, "glitches,"" missing refunds stimulus payments, and the like.  They are urging people not to amend their tax returns.  This is the news and message that TurboTax has been given and asked to reiterate to our customers.

Third stimulus check

Thank you for the follow up. Do you have any news articles or links that talk about this? Sorry for being leery but I have been going back and forth between TurboTax and the IRS now for about a year. The most recent incident when the IRS backed out the stimulus amount due to me in my refund.

Each time I contact either, I have to start from scratch and try to convince someone to help.

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

Third stimulus check

I would not amend your 2020 tax return solely to get the 3rd stimulus payment.   But if ''unchecking'' the box on your 2020 tax return creates an additional refund, you should file it - those can be e-filed this year which should help.   But you may want to delay filing it since the IRS is currently in such disarray and you have 3 years from the date you filed your return (or 2 years after you paid the tax due, whichever is later) to file an amended return.

The recent guidance NOT to amend was mainly for the unemployment income exclusion that was just recently enacted.   They made yet another change to that just yesterday, so they are urging taxpayers NOT to amend to exclude it.   You can read about that here.     @harryhoudini66    A post that references the changes is here.  

On your 2020 tax return, how did you file?   How much stimulus did you receive and how much recovery rebate was claimed on Line 30?   And are you saying that the IRS issued you a refund, but without the amount on Line 30?   If so, did you receive a notice in the mail?

Although you can e-file amended 2020 tax returns starting tomorrow (1040x is tentatively scheduled for 03/26), you may want to delay doing that until further guidance is released by the IRS.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies