Other financial discussions

The software cannot check the box for you; it is a response to an interview question asking if you (or your spouse) can be claimed as someone else's dependent.  The first and second stimulus checks did not allow this; however, for the third stimulus payment, the law was changed. 

The IRS has urged people to wait for guidance on issues that are coming up during the tax season such as this; however the guidance is still forthcoming.  They may very well state that your return should be amended.  Should you wish to do so, and uncheck the box, follow the instructions in the links below:

TurboTax Online

TurboTax CD/Download

Here is updated information about the stimulus payments:

How will the third stimulus impact me?

The American Rescue Plan provides relief for millions of Americans through numerous measures, including a third round of stimulus checks, unemployment benefit extensions, and expansions of the Child Tax Credit and the federal Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC).

This means if you qualify for a third stimulus check, you could get up to $1,400 for each taxpayer in your household plus $1,400 for each dependent.

• Families earning less than $150,000 a year and individuals earning less than $75,000 a year should get the full $1,400 per person.
  • Families earning up to $160,000 per year and individuals earning up to $80,000 per year will receive prorated amounts.
  • One notable difference from the first two stimulus is that you will receive stimulus payments for all your dependents, including adult dependents and college students.

To find out if you are eligible and how much you can expect, visit our stimulus calculator.

Do I need to apply to get a stimulus check?

You don’t need to do anything to get your stimulus check. The IRS will determine eligibility based on your last tax return (either 2019 or 2020) and will likely send your payment to the bank account where your tax refund was deposited. If you haven’t filed your 2020 return yet, you can do that now to give your most recent information to the IRS, including bank account or address information to help ensure your stimulus check goes to the right place.

When will I get my stimulus check?

The IRS has not announced a date yet, but we will provide an update here as soon as it becomes available.

Stimulus payment FAQs

Will the stimulus affect my taxes for this year? Or next year?

Do I need to file a 2020 tax return to get a stimulus check if I don’t normally file taxes?

How will I know if I was issued a stimulus check?

What if I already filed my 2020 taxes?

Can I change my information?

Where will my stimulus payment go if I used a Turbo Card to receive my refund?

What is TurboTax doing to ensure that payments go to the right accounts?

Will I get a stimulus check if someone claimed me as a dependent?

@harryhoudini66