turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Stimulus Check for "Your Spouse as a dependent"

@Emdwhitmore wrote:

OMG it isn't that we "haven't received it", it's that THEY HAVE DEEMED US INELIGIBLE.  THAT'S THE ISSUE HERE. 

Being ineligible on a prior year tax return does not mean you will be ineligible on the 2020 tax return.  Regardless of the reason you were not eligible on the prior year return, if you were eligible in 2020 then apply for the stimulus payment on the 2020 tax return.

Is the screen shot you have in your message from TurboTax? If so, how confident are you that TurboTax's application is going to do the right thing? I'm not even thinking that I will use TurboTax going forward.. 😕

These are just questions; not being critical of you at all .... I do appreciate the info, honestly. I'm just SO annoyed with TurboTax right now ...

COMPLETELY agree!

@Emdwhitmore I wish I could give you a double thumbs up!

@klauguste wrote:

Is the screen shot you have in your message from TurboTax? If so, how confident are you that TurboTax's application is going to do the right thing? I'm not even thinking that I will use TurboTax going forward.. 😕

These are just questions; not being critical of you at all .... I do appreciate the info, honestly. I'm just SO annoyed with TurboTax right now ...

The screenshot is from the TurboTax 2020 online edition.  The same is true for the TurboTax desktop CD/Download editions.

I have no doubts that the TurboTax software will correctly enter the Recovery Rebate Credit on the Form 1040 Line 30 if the user indicates they did not receive the stimulus payment.

I hope this works out. 

I absolutely will not be using TurboTax in the future. I used them because I am not a tax expert. It was my job to provide them with accurate information (which I did) and it was their job to populate the fields accurately, which they DIDN'T. The worst part is they refused to make it right when it was entirely in their power to do so. 

Wishing you the best @klauguste ! 

It was from a blog. I've decided not to use TT anymore, their glitch not only prevented me from receiving my stimulus check, it also deprived my ex of her fed refund (hell to pay for that one!). It might be different if they had some accountability, but they provide no way of contacting them to ask specific questions. I've done my own returns for 40 years, can't see why I'd pay for the convenience of risking another disaster like 2020!

Probably doesn't help ya, but that's were I'm coming from at present.

@Emdwhitmore wrote:

OMG it isn't that we "haven't received it", it's that THEY HAVE DEEMED US INELIGIBLE.  THAT'S THE ISSUE HERE. 

Well if you were deemed ineligible then you did NOT get the stimulus ... simply enter ZERO for the amount received.  The screen didn't ask WHY you did not get the money ... it only wants to know how much you DID get if any.  

@Emdwhitmore Could not agree with you more!

This whole TurboTax has only added to the disastrous year 2020 has been.

Who thinks we’ll actually get the stimulus check money in our tax refund?

I think the likelihood is much greater if I file myself and not leave it up to some glitch ridden web crapper. At least I'll have control over what gets checked! (I'd love to join a class action!) I have a 2021 1040 form for tax year 2020 and It has the "Recovery Rebate Check" column so the option will exist but I'm still looking for the instruction booklet to know how to proceed.

Gotta file anyway, what do I have to lose by trying??

See the instructions for line 30 here starting on page 56 :  https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-dft/i1040gi--dft.pdf

I have not given up on a class-action suit, everyone. 

Will keep everone posted.

Thanks, all!

NOT me...! 

I really do not, but I will go through the motions and hope to be pleasantly surprised.

Hi all,

Original Poster here. I don't know why my account was made inactive on the forums and it now shows up as "Anonymous".

I just saw my Amended 2019 Form was processed by the IRS on 12/11/2020. I filed the Amended Form in April. There has been no stimulus payment (although it's been 10 days). But I would think this should make me "eligible" for the $600 upcoming payment? Unless another excuse gets conjured up.

As far as the original $1200, I guess I will just see if the recovery rebate works on the 2020 form.  I'm very skeptical about it as I'm sure most of you all are.

Thank you,

Michael S. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies