turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Stimulus Check for "Your Spouse as a dependent"

@Goauld 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/spouse-claimed-as-a-dependent-box-checked-on-2019-...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

That's a great question ---- The thing is this is wrong on so many levels and no one is doing anything about it. The IRS knows about it, TurboTax knows about it, even my congressman knows about it. Everyone that has this issue is saying they would never knowingly check that box. 

I am going to trying reaching someone higher up in TurboTax to see if they will take responsibility for this.  If not, it's time to lawyer up.

klauguste, unfortunately that won't help.  The presidents office won't do anything to help either, as I have been directly in contact with them.

@stahl1986 So they didn’t end up helping you either then? I thought you were maybe the one person they did since you didn’t believe me. So it’s even more hopeless.

They continually blamed me for the error and sent me redacted template screenshots that didn’t prove anything. I know I didn’t check that box. 

I think the customer service reps have been given a script and they all read the same thing to us --- tell us that we MUST have checked the box; there's no other way it could have happened. And, tell us to amend the return. Well, as someone stated earlier (maybe you?) that amending the return will not help or change anything.  I did it anyway. They told me my husband will have to amend his also.  I'm definitely not using TurboTax next year. 

@klauguste yeah that’s what the IRS had told me at the time when I called but I’m with you, I’m going to amend it anyway. 

Hello,

On top of not getting the stimulus payment for me or my two children due to this faulty product checking a box that I did NOT check, I just got a message that I cannot get a refund for the product because it is "outside the 60 day return period". It's not outside of 60 days of me learning that it was a faulty product that resulted in this problem of me and my children not getting the EIP stimulus payment that was supposed to go to ALL eligible citizens. 

I will say this, I was offered a $60 refund from the presidents office after being in contact through the BBB.  I did not accept it as it would have closed the case.  If any one wants their $60 back, I suggest doing it this way.

Thanks for letting me know.  I would choose the same in that case. This has become another job trying to get the stimulus payment. I figured since the product glitched and created this problem, that a refund should have been offered, regardless to everyone who experienced this problem. They are obviously not concerned about what I think! 

Lauren35

I know this is an old thread but it seems that turbo tax automatically checked this off. I would have never checked it off myself, but low and behold, when i pull up my return it’s there. 
I spoke to the IRS today and this is the reason I didn’t receive a stimulus check. Gives a 201 error code, whatever that means.  I was also told they’re not looking at amended forms so it’s not even worth doing one. The only way to get your stimulus is to file the rebate with your 2020 taxes. 

Lauren35

Apparently there is a box, it just isn’t there when you file and TurboTax automatically checked yes for you. I have a feeling TurboTax is the reason thousands of Americans never received their stimulus check. 

So sorry that this happened to you , too. I saw this recently: https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2020/10/08/gl[product key removed]ands-turbotax-users-from-get[product key ...

Well... that link doesn't seem to work when I post it here. But, if you google, "glitch keeps thousands of turbotax users from getting first check," then you should see the news report. 

It looks like this happened to more people than I thought. It makes no sense to me that an error on the part of Turbotax and the IRS means that we would have to wait until filing our taxes next year to get a rebate if we are still eligible based on 2020. 

Hello 🙂

I have the same issue. I know for sure that I did not check this box. My husband and I filed married but claiming separately for 2018. It's crazy that this is preventing us from receiving our stimulus payment when it has nothing to do with  us being able to be claimed by someone. The ridiculous thing is that my husband received his payment.  Have you received any updates on this situation?

TurboTax said they were working VERY CLOSELY with the IRS. Like two months ago. 

Apparently "working closely" with the IRS is not to our benefit. The only thing that I have heard from TurboTax was receiving an ad in my email on 10/22/2020 to pre-order Turbotax with this included:

Welcome back to TurboTax — the brand you trust to get your guaranteed maximum refund. And as always, we are up to date on all new tax laws, so you can be confident your taxes are done right. Pre-order today!

My taxes were not done right because of TurboTax, and they have done nothing to resolve the matter.  I'm not sure why I received marketing saying "Welcome back..." It's infuriating.  

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies