turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Stimulus Check for "Your Spouse as a dependent"

Great, that your husband received his stimulus!

I have not received any update on this, except a response from my US senator to say that they had received numerous similar complaints and were aware of it.

TurboTax keeps repeating the same line about being able to get it somehow when I file my 2020 taxes. I'm not entirely sure if or how that will work.

I have not given up on the idea of a class-action suit --- just have not committed the time to getting started on it.

I will post any update here if I can make any progress on it.

TurboTax says nothing will happen if you amend it. However maybe it’ll help with the next check if they decide to give it out.

I filled out a form months ago to get a refund and they just never responded. 

Yeah, evidence that we didnt check it is, when I went into turbotax to edit and check the correct response so I could amend it, it was blank. Neither option was selected. So it seems as though none of us selected “yes” to whether our spouse could be claimed as a dependent, and TurboTax just sent the tax forms with that boxed checked. 

@desposito89 That’s EXACTLY how mine was too, blank. When I was in touch with Intuits Presidents office they sent me some redacted template screenshots trying to “prove” that I selected it. Every other question I could view was populated, I find it pretty strange that the one causing the issue is also the one that happens to have no answer selected at all. 

Still haven't heard anything back

Did your husband use TurboTax?

No, our accountant did his. 

I am not the suing type but honestly in this situation I would be perfectly ok with it. They need to be held accountable for their mistake. It is absurd that something cannot be done to fix this issue. 

I was also told that I could "claim" it on my 2020 taxes but the representative at the IRS was unsure how it would be handled. He made it sound like it would be a tax credit. Which I find to be unacceptable. If turbotax has been in contact with the IRS in regards to this issue then it should be as simple as clicking a button or writing a statement that it was a glitch and then releasing the payment. If they can fix prisoner's information for them to now receive a stimulus payment, they should be able to do it for us that have a silly box checked that does not pertain to us. 

Yes, my husband used TurboTax and the same thing happened to him --- the box was checked that he could be claimed as a dependent. When I brought it to his attention of was surprised. Of course, he had not checked the box either, and would never have checked that box. We both looked at our 2018 and 2019 tax filings --- and both times the box was checked.  😕

When I try to view the FAQ link, it says access denied? 

Count me in on any class action. I am one of the "small number" here screwed by Turbo Tax.

This company is piece of **bleep**. The don’t give a **bleep**. This is our money that we are entitled to and they **bleep** up and blame it on us. They lie to us by saying they are looking into it and working closely with the IRS. Yeah, sure you are. GO TO HELL ASSHOLES.

Just a heads up, I don't know if the IRS changed their stance, but I received my stimulus refund today. 

May I ask what action you took in the past? I'm wondering if I should call them. I already submitted an amended return to uncheck that stupid box.

Well, I’m glad to hear someone received their stimulus after all of this.  I sent in my amended return to have the box unchecked, but like others, the IRS has received it, but not processed it.  Did you file an amended return to get the box removed? 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies