turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Stimulus Check for "Your Spouse as a dependent"

@stahl1986 Are you talking to me? That was the presidents office response I got after contacting the BBB. Feel free to follow the conversation.

This was not the response I was given, and I have stayed in contact with them.  So you did not follow through with the BBB?  It sounds as if you did not actually do this.  If you did, why did you "accept" the reply? 

@stahl1986 Not that I need to prove anything to your annoying self but yeah. I did. “Complaint ID#: [redacted]
Business Name: Intuit, Inc.

Thank you for contacting BBB. Your complaint was received by BBB on [redacted] and has been assigned case#[redacted] in our files. Please make a note of this number for future reference.

Your complaint has been applied to the following business:
Intuit, Inc.
PO Box 7850
Mountain View, CA [social security number removed]

The case has been reviewed and has now been forwarded to the business for their response. This business has until October 2, 2020 to respond to your complaint. You may contact our office after October 2, 2020 to check the status of your complaint.

We encourage you to use our ONLINE COMPLAINT system to keep up with the progress of this complaint. To view the details of your case please go to the following website address: [redacted]

Thats the BBB email, is it not?

@stahl1986 and to add, I didn’t accept the reply. We are going back and forth getting nowhere, very much like here. 

Something is absolutely wrong with your story.  They updated this stating that it was a system error 3 weeks ago. Once again, why did you accept their response?

I am still in contact with intuit and I suggest others do the same.  It is a much more appropriate action than posting on reddit or hoping someone else will do something. 

I commented on this a few weeks ago as it effected me also. I ended up Amending my 2018 tax return in order to remove the check mark which the Turbo Tax glitch caused. I also got in touch with TurboTax and this was their response to me on August 25th:

"

Dear TurboTax Customer,

Thank you for signing up to receive updates about the “spouse claimed as a dependent” check box.  Below is the latest information we have, we will continue to provide updates here.

What Happened

For a very small number of  customers, the “spouse claimed as a dependent” check box was carried over from their 2018 tax return when it was no longer relevant. This only affected customers that filed “Married Filing Separately” in 2018, but as “Single” or “Head of Household” in 2019. This had no effect on the outcome of your tax return and has been fixed in TurboTax. 

Some customers, however, are reporting that this has affected their stimulus check, or economic impact payment (EIP).  

The eligibility and amount of a stimulus payment is determined by the IRS based on a tax filer’s 2018 OR 2019 tax return. TurboTax does not know which tax return (2018 or 2019) the IRS used to determine your eligibility or why this checkbox would be used for EIP eligibility. All customers correctly had this box checked for their 2018 filing.

We’re working closely with the IRS to understand why and how this would have impacted EIP eligibility. We’ll update you if we get more information from the IRS.

Thank you for your patience and for being a TurboTax customer. 

Sincerely,

TurboTax"

They must not be working THAT closely if it’s been 3 weeks with no update. **bleep** this company.

I filed the amended return and spoke with the IRS and an IRS tax advocate.  Bottom line, I was told that I would have to wait until I filed my 2020 tax return to claim the tax credit.  I was also told 2019 paper returns are priority right now and that the amended return I sent in would not likely be processed until 2021.  From what I understood, the IRS isn’t working on a solution for this right now and to sum it up, I was basically told that it is on the tax payer to review their tax return in it’s entirety prior to submitting it to the IRS.  If there are errors (software related or not), it is the tax payers responsibility to review what’s been completed before they submit their return and make the necessary corrections.  The IRS said once a return is processed, they only make changes or corrections needed by a tax payer if the tax payer sends in an amended return.  The IRS could not tell me why having the box checked about my spouse caused me to be flagged as ineligible for the economic payment but did verify that according to their records, I am ineligible because of it.  Anyone with the box checked is ineligible.  

If they’re looking into anything, it’s why the box being checked caused ineligibility, not how to fix it.  Having tax payers amend their returns to be accurate is their solution but even after a tax payer does that, you will receive the tax credit on your 2020 return. 

And no news of a class action suit for those who did not receive their stimulus as a result of the TurboTax glitch?

This is a result of a glitch in the TurboTax software. I know of a few people who are still not able to work and did not receive their stimulus due to the glitch, many LYFT drivers who got to use the TurboTax portal to file for free. Some are still unemployed. How is this fair? It's not. $1200 is a lot of money to most in this depression!  

@artistgew  I don’t think it’s fair either.  It just seems like the blame for the error is now being placed on the tax payer. After hearing what the IRS had to say after getting a tax advocate involved, I’ve pretty much given up on hoping I’d get my stimulus check anytime soon. It really sucks. 

It's not fair. It's not the taxpayer's fault, either. I know that I would not have checked that box and have not checked that box ever, and I do review the step-by-step and the form before submitting. After submitting electronically, I don't know how one could know there was an error until it is processed and something like this happens. It should not matter, though, because the box that says someone can claim me was not checked but that was the reason that I was deemed ineligible. It is a glitch.  I, too, spoke to an IRS representative and tax payer advocate. They could see it was a glitch and neither of them placed blame. Unfortunately, neither of them could help even though they expressed a desire to do so. It seems that it will take an act of congress to allow the IRS to manually make the corrections. This problem, from what I can see, has been publicized in the media (Forbes), and people have contacted the IRS, tax advocates, state representatives, business reporting agencies, and Turbotax. Looking at this forum, this has been a known issue for months. It's disappointing that the best anyone can do is say that it can be claimed when you file your taxes next year or, maybe, they will make the changes to include this group this year. I am an eligible, tax paying American, with two children but we received nothing and it looks like we will not receive anything during this time when all eligible Americans were supposed to receive the help "expediently". 

I agree!!! 

The very same thing happened to me and my husband. We both file separately. Somehow TurboTax checked that box for us, which caused me to be unable to collect my stimulus check. Neither of us would knowingly check that box. TurboTax really should do something to compensate us for this. The IRS said amending that box will not allow you to get a stimulus check. 

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies