turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Stimulus Check for "Your Spouse as a dependent"

@Bethanyt84 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/spouse-claimed-as-a-dependent-box-checked-on-2019-...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/spouse-claimed-as-a-dependent-box-checked-on-2019-...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

So how is this solved if we are all still screwed?

I called TT last week to get this sorted out. The agency helped me to update my return (I had a separate issue I needed to correct as well). We unchecked the box about the dependent (which I did not check), and today I'm going to finish it up/double check the printed out amended return to mail in, and somehow THE BOX IS STILL CHECKED.

This really puts a stick in my craw. 

The IRS says it doesn’t matter if you amend it. You still won’t get the check. TurboTax needs to do something! I desperately need this money! I’m about to get evicted. 

@agchi wrote:

I called TT last week to get this sorted out. The agency helped me to update my return (I had a separate issue I needed to correct as well). We unchecked the box about the dependent (which I did not check), and today I'm going to finish it up/double check the printed out amended return to mail in, and somehow THE BOX IS STILL CHECKED.

This really puts a stick in my craw. 

Hi @agchi 

Since you have a documented customer service phone call, it would probably help to diagnose the issue if you can open your account, click "Tools", click "Share file with agent" and post the 6 digit code here.  "Share file with agent" creates an anonymous version of your file to share with tech support.  Combining that with the records of the customer service phone call may help them solve the problem.  

How hard is it to figure out if this is a glitch? Create a mock tax return and see if the box gets checked without you selecting that option. You’ll see we all were right and then you should refund us the tax return fees and front us the stimulus check money. 

@harryhoudini66 wrote:

I'm not sure why the article is marked solved.  That's a "containment" article that acknowledges there is a problem and gives you a way to sign up to be notified when there is an answer. 

Yes, it's ridiculous that such a big company wronged us out of getting a much needed stimulus check. Many can't wait for next year!

@desposito89 wrote:

How hard is it to figure out if this is a glitch? Create a mock tax return and see if the box gets checked without you selecting that option. You’ll see we all were right and then you should refund us the tax return fees and front us the stimulus check money. 

If it happened to everyone it wouldn't be hard to track down.  I'm not a software developer but I've done lots of beta testing and some bugs only show up under specific situations.  Before you can even identify the bug, you have to identify the situations where it occurs, and this is what customer support call records and diagnostic files can help with. 

Yeah, I’m getting really frustrated with this. TurboTax is dragging their feet. It shouldn’t take that long to figure out there’s a glitch. They need to do something. TurboTax is such a terrible company. Everyone go watch the tax episode on the Netflix show, The Patriot Act. Intuit is horrible. I’m just gonna keep complaining on here until TurboTax decides to admit they screwed up and compensate us. The point of the stimulus check is to help us NOW. It’s not a god **bleep** savings bond. I can’t wait until next year to pay this months rent. That isn’t RELIEF. @Opus 17 says, “yelling won’t help” well maybe it will. Because being patient and waiting isn’t doing anything. I’ve been waiting since APRIL and look where that got me. Talking about it and posting the link to this community on Reddit is the what got them to actually create a ticket. We got to keep yelling and screaming until this corrupt company actually does something. We got to be on them. They want nothing more but to sweep this under the rug, drag their feet and shift the blame. Screw TurboTax. 

@Opus 17 wrote:

@harryhoudini66 wrote:

I'm not sure why the article is marked solved.  That's a "containment" article that acknowledges there is a problem and gives you a way to sign up to be notified when there is an answer. 

I believe it's marked "solved" because it has probably been fixed for anyone filing a *new* tax return.    Fixing the software will not change any tax return already sent to the IRS.    Fixing the software cannot *solve* an error on a tax return accepted by the IRS - that is not legally possible.   Once the IRS has a return, any error can only be corrected with an amended tax return mailed by the taxpayer.  

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Rang the IRS today to find out that my 2018 return had the following box checked: "Spouse standard deduction: [x] Someone can claim your spouse as a dependent".

I've done a MFS filing status for years and never once have I checked a box stating my wife can be claimed as a dependent... the lady makes more than I do! I've used TT for years and never once... have I checked that box. All of a sudden I get a 2018 return with that box checked? Something isn't right here and I would advise someone to correct it with some sort of monetary compensation. Call me out of line, call me whatever you want... but my demands are warranted. Why??  Because clearly there are people who have the same sentiment as I do and it's quite obvious there is/was an underlying "BUG, GLITCH, ERROR, MALFUNCTION ETC..."" that caused others and myself to miss out on the economic stimulus.

It's absolutely absurd and would love to get this resolved with a payment STAT. 

Pay up!!! 

@colbski  TurboTax is investigating this issue.  See this TurboTax support FAQ for information - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/spouse-claimed-as-a-dependent-box-checked-on-2019-...

Yes!! But when I called TurboTax, of course they said it was my fault. We need our money now. Not next April. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies