Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

FSA for babysitter

Hello, I have $5000 taken out of my paycheck pretax every year for dependent child care expenses.  This school year because my children are distance learning I’ve had to hire a babysitter.  I pay approximately $800/month.  I tried to submit for reimbursement from my FSA but they are asking the babysitter to sign a form verifying her services.  She’s 19 and doesn’t want to sign.  What am I supposed to do?  How can I get reimbursed?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

FSA for babysitter

Did you get her Social Security number when you hired her?  You can't get the Child Care Credit or Expenses without reporting her ssn.  Sorry.  You should not pay anyone without getting their ssn.

FSA for babysitter

No, I didn’t.  It didn’t even occur to me- this is new territory.  

FSA for babysitter

If she gives me her ssn, does she get taxed?  Do I get taxed?

Anonymous
Not applicable

FSA for babysitter

regardless of whether or not she gives you her SSN, you paid her enough where she would owe at least self-employment tax. you could tell her that you will have to report her to the IRS so you can file the necessary tax forms for yourself.  but first, suggest to her that rather than her SSN she can go to the IRS website an get an EIN immediately.  it's up to you as to whether or not you inform her that she may have tax filing requirements.  

FSA for babysitter

She does not have to provide her SSN but she can easily get a Tax Identification Number from the IRS:

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/taxpayer-identification-numbers-tin

In order for you to get the childcare credit or use your savings plan money per the rules, you need her SSN or Tax ID.  And---going forward---always get that information upfront from your childcare providers to avoid misunderstandings and confusion.

The babysitter is supposed to report her income to the IRS as self-employment income.  When you report the amount you paid for childcare on your tax return, the IRS matches that up with what she reports on her tax return--using her SSN or Tax ID.  You say she is only 19-- so likely not very savvy regarding tax laws and maybe getting some poor advice from others.  You don't want to get her in trouble but you want to use your FSA funds and possibly enter the childcare credit on your tax return.  She will need to learn how it works.

When a childcare provider will not give you a SSN or Tax ID

If they still refuse to provide an EIN or SSN, send your provider a W-10 (Request for Taxpayer Information and Identification Number).  You can get a copy of the W-10 by clicking here: W-10 Form & Instructions  Complete as much of the form as you can and send it via certified mail (after making copies for yourself).

If the provider does not respond within 10 business days, you can still file your return.  However, you won't be able to e-file.  Print and mail in your return, along with an explanation and a copy of the W-10 you sent your provider.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

FSA for babysitter

@Thompso1ct  You said this is all "new territory"---so--- first child--first experience having a childcare provider?  You did not mention whether the sitter worked in your home or her own home--and it might make a difference in what you are supposed to be doing.  If she took care of your child in YOUR home she may be a "household employee."  You need to read up on what that entails:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/who-is-considered-a-household-employee/00/26770

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/forms/help/do-i-need-to-file-irs-schedule-h/00/25742

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies