Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ErickaY

Community Chatter: Would You Rather

In our past #CommunityChatter installments we've shared about making big financial decisions, organizing your time, and work from home hacks. This week we're having a little fun and playing a little game of "Would You Rather"!

FeaturedContent_CommunityChatter.jpeg

What if you could have everything you ever dreamed of, with a caveat, you had to work full time for 50 years! Not a bad compromise, eh? Now what if you could have half of what you dreamed of but only had to work for 30 years? This also sounds great! Either way you slice it, these are both pretty good deals. Imagine buying a home on the beach and a second in the mountains. Then you go out and buy a Ferrari and even a private plane. You have the ability to purchase all the items that could possibly make you happy, but do they? Now think of the other scenario. You are able to afford a nice home, a nice car, and most of the things you want. Would you long for more or be content? 

Our community team will also discuss this topic and what they believe would be the best move for them.

++++++++++++++++++

557928_10151640288146257_287607927_n.jpeg

Katie, Community Manager

“Well, living in California, I just might have to work full-time for 50 years, and definitely won't have everything I want at the end of it! Ha! Since this is a hypothetical question, I'd definitely opt for the 30 years vs. 50. I LOVE traveling and spending time with my family, so the more I am able to do those things, the better!"

~Katie, Community Manager

++++++

rmatthews_default_jpg.jpeg Raphael, Community Engagement Manager

“Although I do love the idea of only have to work full-time for 30 years but there will always be that gnawing feeling in the back my head telling me "You only got half of the things you wanted in life." 50 years does seem like a long time but as long as I was doing something I enjoyed and it felt fulfilling I think I would be OK with doing with the notion I would get everything I ever wanted in life.”

~Raph, Community Engagement Manager

++++++

eramirez3_default_jpg.jpeg

Ericka, Community Engagement Lead

“This is a very interesting topic! I love the idea of being able to have everything I want but at the same time, I'm nervous about how much time would be left over to enjoy those things. If I'm working full time for 50 years I won't have the time to enjoy my family, all the goods I would want, or even travel. I would definitely pick to only work 30 years while still being able to purchase half of the items I'd want. I'm assuming I'd still be able to have ALL the items I need 😉 

~Ericka, Community Engagement Lead

++++++

Which would you prefer? Would you rather have a full-time job for 50 years but be able to purchase everything you’ve ever wanted or would you rather have a full time job for 30 years but only be able to purchase half of what you wanted?

Now it's your turn... which would you rather have? Join in on the fun by commenting below!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

Probably the "things" the vast majority of human beings really want are the likes of peace, contentment, happiness.

From my perspective (as well as others I have known over the years), the aforementioned does not necessarily flow from acquiring a ton of material possessions. 

Regardless, the question here is unusually framed as the bulk of material items are acquired over the course of one's lifetime and not typically immediately following retirement after having worked for a specific number of years (which is actually when a lot of people start getting rid of stuff they have acquired over the years).

NancyM5
Employee Tax Expert

My answer is definitely only 30 years!  I think life is more than purchasing "stuff".  Instead it's about family and friends and the relationships that you develop over 30 or 50 years with others.

Laura_CPA
Employee Tax Expert

The reality is we can all have what we want, the key is knowing what we want and then having the courage to pursue it ;). I already know I do not want a Ferrari or Lamborghini because I am claustrophobic and I wouldn't fit in those types of cars anyway 😂. What I want is what I currently have, a career that allows me to help others and the ability to integrate it with my daily life. Material things do not motivate me, what motivates me is the positive impact I am able to make in someone else's life. That is priceless! So I guess, I'll be working or helping others until the day I'm gone physically. 

KarenL
Employee Tax Expert

I want it ALL - in half the time!  Just kidding!  The truth is,  I'm pretty sure I'll never stop working.  I enjoy it too much.

It might sound corny, but all I really want is to be happy and make sure everyone around me is happy and fulfilled.  The funny thing is, when the people around me ARE happy, then I'm happy too! 

The "stuff" is fun and wonderful, but then you want new stuff...then more new stuff.  Been there, done that!  

BarbL
Employee Tax Expert

Oh, this is an easy one!!  I'd opt for 30 years, because most of the things that make me happy are not material items.  I prefer time and experiences over material possessions, and having an extra 20 non-working years would allow more time with family, more life experiences, more volunteer opportunities, and more days to sit on the beach and just watch the sun set.   

HollyP
Employee Tax Expert

I have to agree with @BarbL on this one! I'd rather work full-time for 30 years and spend that extra 20 years making memories with my family and friends. 

What's that saying? "They say time is money, but money can't buy time." It's true! Time with the ones you love is precious!

Allie333

Neither , wish there was an option for working 10 years and you get a small house with water and shower that was yours with no taxes ever owed so no one can take it away from you. Then a acoustic guitar and lot of good books to read . Maybe health care but that is asking a lot in America : (

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies