turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Is millage deductible if driving to and from military drill site as reservist?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Yes, you can deduct travel expenses for your reserve duties if you traveled more than 100 miles from your home to perform these duties. These expenses are deductible whether or not you itemize deductions on your tax return.

If you drive less than 100 miles each way, you can claim it on your itemized deductions, if you itemize.

Deductible travel expenses include:

- Airline, train, or bus tickets
- Automobile mileage
- Hotel or Motel expenses
- Meals and incidental expenses

To enter your expensese:

As you navigate through the employee business expenses, you will arrive at the Any Special Situation? Page Click Yes/Continue

You will then arrive at the Did Your Job-Related Expenses Fall Into These Categories? Page

Enter your expenses into the Military reservist travel expenses field.

Include your miles traveled times 54 cents per mile.

I have another question including mileage. I’m a drilling reservist. I perform funeral honor duty for the Navy and I have to drive to the funeral site as my second employment. I do receive regular compensation for the funeral service I provide from the Navy. Can I still claim the mileage each and every time I drive to a funeral site as my second employment?

TomD8
Level 15

From the IRS:

If you're a member of the National Guard or military reserve, you may be able to claim a deduction for unreimbursed travel expenses paid in connection with the performance of services as a reservist that reduces your adjusted gross income. This travel must be overnight and more than 100 miles from your home. Expenses must be ordinary and necessary. This deduction is limited to the regular federal per diem rate (for lodging, meals, and incidental expenses) and the standard mileage rate (for car expenses) plus any parking fees, ferry fees, and tolls. Claim these expenses on Form 2106, Employee Business Expenses and report them on Form 1040 or Form 1040-SR as an adjustment to income.

https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc511#:~:text=If%20you're%20a%20member,100%20miles%20from%20your%20hom....

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies