turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Military spouse is a domiciliary of Texas, but Turbo Tax is automatically including her in MD State Tax return. Please assist.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Military spouse is a domiciliary of Texas, but Turbo Tax is automatically including her in MD State Tax return. Please assist.

Yes, we're filing a joint federal return. I have completed my PA (SLR while I was active duty military) state return online with no issue, but I'm running into a snag with MD state return. TurboTax recommends that I file as a nonresident (Form 505), but I believe I should file as a part-time resident (Form 502) as I lived in MD for half of 2018. That said, I have had no taxable income since moving to MD as I'm a full-time student. Should I file as a MD nonresident like TurboTax recommends?

Please see clarifying information above.

Actually, if you have no income while living in Maryland, you do not need to file a Maryland return at all.

If you and your spouse are filing a joint federal return but you work in or are residents of different states, you may need to file separate state returns. (Well, you won't need to file one for Texas, but the principle applies.) Sometimes this is required by state tax law; other times it is to your best interest to not include your non-resident spouse's income on your state return, so your state won't try to tax their income. 

The calculations you need to do can be done in TurboTax online. It will be tedious, but it is the best way to accurately minimize your taxes. 

Please see our TurboTax FAQ below on how to file a Joint Federal return and Separate State returns.  

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3301995

Yes, we're filing a joint federal return. I have completed my PA (SLR while I was active duty military) state return online with no issue, but I'm running into a snag with MD state return. TurboTax recommends that I file as a nonresident (Form 505), but I believe I should file as a part-time resident (Form 502) as I lived in MD for half of 2018. That said, I have had no taxable income since moving to MD as I'm a full-time student. Should I file as a MD nonresident like TurboTax recommends?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies