Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why does TurboTax keep trying to get me to pay state taxes? Active duty stationed in NC but home of record is Michigan.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Why does TurboTax keep trying to get me to pay state taxes? Active duty stationed in NC but home of record is Michigan.

@gregmisiak 

Figure it out yet?

When you enter your name on the My Info page, it asks what sate you resided in on 31 Dec 2019.  You need to answer MI....for military, you always reside in MI no matter where you are posted.  And you don't indicate that you moved during the year.

The only time you indicate NC income as a NON-Resident, is if you work  a civilian job..off-duty in NC...or own a rental property in NC that you get income from...or run a Self-employed business in NC while off-duty...but always as an NC non-resident.  

Fix your residency as MI-only all year in the My Info section first, tehn if NC is still attached to yoru file, delete NC as follows.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/how-do-i-delete-my-state-return-in-turbotax-on...

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies