Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

5nelsons

When calculating the sales tax deduction for active duty military, do I use my home of record (TX) or the state where I live (VA). And what if we purchased new cars in VA?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DS30

When calculating the sales tax deduction for active duty military, do I use my home of record (TX) or the state where I live (VA). And what if we purchased new cars in VA?

You will only be able to use your state of residence (your home of record - TX) when taking the sales tax deduction on your income tax return. Since the car was purchased in VA, you will not be able to include this car purchase as a major purchase under the sales tax deduction section.

jflaatsch
Returning Member

Follow-on related question, I am active duty military stationed overseas (Germany), should I use my state of residence (FL) for the sales tax deduction?  If not, how can I remove the sales tax deduction after it has been applied to my federal income tax return?

ToddL99
Expert Alumni

Yes, use FL for calculating your sales tax deduction. Using FL as your basis for calculating a U.S. sales tax deduction is consistent with the intent of the U.S. tax code.

As an active-duty military member, your income is treated as earned in FL and you should treat any income-related deductions (i.e. sales tax) as if they were also sourced in FL.

The IRS doesn't have any way of calculating the U.S. equivalent of the German sales tax (VAT)  - their tax rates and currency cannot be easily translated to a U.S. equivalent sales tax. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies