turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

istraax

Im active duty army and was in basic training then went to my duty station then went on rotation and im having trouble with state tax returns

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

Im active duty army and was in basic training then went to my duty station then went on rotation and im having trouble with state tax returns

For active duty military your resident state is the state where you joined the military from (where you lived when you joined).  You would indicate that in "My Info" and indicate that you did not live in any other state. 

Near the bottom of the "My Info" section you will see "Other state income".  You should review that and select yes or no depending on your situation.  If you have income other than military income from a state you were stationed in, then a nonresident return will be generated.  You only include the other income in that state return. 

You may only be filing one state return with your military income.  Depending on your resident state you may also exclude your military income from that return.  Here is a page to check on how your state handles military income when stationed outside of it.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies