turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

gwehba

I am filing as active duty military and i am confused how to file my state taxes since I’m in the military and didn’t live in Missouri but still pay Missouri taxes because it’s my perma

I maintained a place to live outside of Missouri but Missouri is my state of residency according to my LES
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
TomD8
Level 15

I am filing as active duty military and i am confused how to file my state taxes since I’m in the military and didn’t live in Missouri but still pay Missouri taxes because it’s my perma

If your State of Legal Residency (SLR) is Missouri, you file your states taxes in Missouri - regardless of where you are stationed.

Your SLR stays the same as long as you are on active duty, unless you formally change it with your military payroll office.

In the personal info section of TurboTax, enter MO as your state of residence.  Your mailing address can be different.  Answer No to the questions about having income from other states (unless you had non-military income in the other state.)  And be sure to indicate that you are on active military duty.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
DianeC958
Expert Alumni

Since you are claiming Missouri as your state of resident your military income is taxable for that state. You need to file a resident tax return for Missouri and add form MO-NRI if you did not:

• Maintain permanent living quarters in Missouri
  • Maintained permanent Living Quarters elsewhere
  • Did spend more than 30 days in Missouri during the year

If you meet these qualifications your active military pay is not taxed in Missouri, but you do still need to file a tax return with Missouri.

Link to Missouri Military Reference Guide

If you earned other non-military income that you earned in the state where you are currently living you would need to file a non-resident return for that income.

Link more information about filing state returns while you are in the military

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies