turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I report an military re-enlistement bonus?

I was told that I needed to report it, but if I don't see it on my W-2 nor received any other paperwork for it other than the money flowing into my checking's account, how would I go about reporting the half bonus that I received this year?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AnnS7

Re-enlistment bonuses are taxed like regular income and are typically added in with your regular wages and reported on the same W-2.   You will also have taxes automatically withheld from your bonus, generally at the 25% or 28% rate. This is automatically done by the government, and not something you can change. If the withholding is too high for your tax bracket, then you will likely receive a larger than normal refund the following year.

Did you happen to be in a combat or tax-free zone when you re-enlisted?   This would make your re-enlistment bonus tax-free.  

You can check with your MyPay account to verify a second W-2 was issued.

If you're unsure if you're W-2 is reporting your re-enlistment bonus correctly, before filing, go speak with your finance office to verify.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
AnnS7

Re-enlistment bonuses are taxed like regular income and are typically added in with your regular wages and reported on the same W-2.   You will also have taxes automatically withheld from your bonus, generally at the 25% or 28% rate. This is automatically done by the government, and not something you can change. If the withholding is too high for your tax bracket, then you will likely receive a larger than normal refund the following year.

Did you happen to be in a combat or tax-free zone when you re-enlisted?   This would make your re-enlistment bonus tax-free.  

You can check with your MyPay account to verify a second W-2 was issued.

If you're unsure if you're W-2 is reporting your re-enlistment bonus correctly, before filing, go speak with your finance office to verify.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies