turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

acoopy36

How do i claim that i am exempt from state taxes in pennsylvania? im active duty and its trying to make me pay a years worth of state tax

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How do i claim that i am exempt from state taxes in pennsylvania? im active duty and its trying to make me pay a years worth of state tax

First, your active duty pay is exempt ONLY if you are a resident of Pennsylvania but you are on active duty outside of Pennsylvania. If you are on active duty within Pennsylvania, your active duty pay is taxable. Please see https://revenue-pa.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/266/~/should-i-report-my-active-military-pay...

Next, you need to make sure that you correctly entered the personal information in My Info. You need to indicate that you are US military and answer the various questions that appear because of that. Also be sure to go through the whole personal information interview, because there are additional screens that appear if you are military.

Next, go to your W-2 and make sure that you checked "active duty military" on the screen AFTER your W-2. You should always complete sections when you start them, in case screens appear that are important.

Next, go to the Pennsylvania interview. Proceed through the screens and shortly you will see one entitled "Compensation Summary". Your military W-2 should be listed here. If it's not, you missed something in My Info or on the W-2 interview. Click the Edit button. On the next screen indicate that the entire amount is not taxable (if that's true).

Continue with the rest of the Pennsylvania interview; the military pay will be removed from Pennsylvania taxable income.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

First, your active duty pay is exempt ONLY if you are a resident of Pennsylvania but you are on active duty outside of Pennsylvania. If you are on active duty within Pennsylvania, your active duty pay is taxable. Please see https://revenue-pa.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/266/~/should-i-report-my-active-military-pay...

Next, you need to make sure that you correctly entered the personal information in My Info. You need to indicate that you are US military and answer the various questions that appear because of that. Also be sure to go through the whole personal information interview, because there are additional screens that appear if you are military.

Next, go to your W-2 and make sure that you checked "active duty military" on the screen AFTER your W-2. You should always complete sections when you start them, in case screens appear that are important.

Next, go to the Pennsylvania interview. Proceed through the screens and shortly you will see one entitled "Compensation Summary". Your military W-2 should be listed here. If it's not, you missed something in My Info or on the W-2 interview. Click the Edit button. On the next screen indicate that the entire amount is not taxable (if that's true).

Continue with the rest of the Pennsylvania interview; the military pay will be removed from Pennsylvania taxable income.

Please note that only active duty pay earned outside of PA is exempt from PA income taxes.  All other income IS subject to PA income tax.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies