Solved: Overseas working military spouse. Help claiming state residency

clarkeky6742

Overseas working military spouse. Help claiming state residency

I have a Virginia license and voter registration. But no property and have not lived there in 6 years. I'm currently working in Germany and am not sure how to do my state taxes. Va considers me a domicile resident but the tax papers have me as non resident since I do live abroad and keep asking me where and how much money I made in Virginia. But I didn't make it in Virginia. So confused

ToddL

As a military spouse stationed overseas and a resident of VA, you should answer your Personal Interview questions in the following manner.

State of residence is VA (same for your husband)

Do not select "Lived in another state in 2016". That question only applies if you changed your state of residence in 2016. 

Military members and spouses are considered to live in their U.S states of residence, no matter where they are stationed (CONUS or OCONUS)

Answer "No" to the question "Did you earn money in any other states?" With some exceptions that do not apply to your situation, your and your husband's income is treated as earned (and taxed) in your U.S. state of residence.

In the Personal Interview > Mailing address and phone number, you can still designate a mailing address in GE (see attached). Sorry, no international phone numbers allowed here - you can use a relative's U.S. phone number or a dummy number (800-555-1212) if needed to efile.

Consider starting VA withholding; it may make things easier.

ToddL

I can help.

Do you eventually plan to return to VA? Do you vote there (not just registered)? Is that the place you consider as "home"?

What makes you a resident of a state (or country)? 
Generally, you're a resident of a state (or country) if you intend to either stay there permanently, or return there after a temporary absence. It's where home is – where you come back to after being away on vacation, business trip, overseas or out-of-state employment, or school. Many factors are considered, not the least of which are where you are registered to vote, own homestead property and are licensed to drive.
clarkeky6742

According to va law I am a domicile resident because of my license and voter registration ( haven't voted there since 2008). So I need to know how to do my taxes? Did I make money in Virginia? No. My parents live there but that's not my address.  I might return. But my husband has another 12 years in the army. I just don't know how to answer turbo taxes questions
ToddL

A little more information and I believe I'll be able to clear this up - who do you work for in GE, how is your GE income reported and what is your husband's home of record (DFAS W-2 box 15)?
clarkeky6742

Thank you for your help. I'm a dod civilian so I work for the us government. My income is taxed by the US but I choose to withhold state taxes or not. My husbands home of record is Virginia.
clarkeky6742

Thank you so much for the help!!
ToddL